3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Muffler keeps blowing baffles

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:36 PM
mosher4269
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler keeps blowing baffles

I have a 07 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4. Back In June we had a lot of rain and I was parked in a low area and caused water to get into my engine. Insurance covered it and replaced it with a used engine out of a 08 ram 1500. After motor swap ive had had issues none stop. Now, I have horrible fuel mileage and with it running like crap I have no check engine light. EGR valve went bad and didn't throw a code, was a tapping sound like a lifter. Got that fixed and now I keep blowing my mufflers up. Not exploding but blowing the baffles up. I had a flow aster at first and the muffler shop replaced with another flow master and about a week later it blew the new muffler. I'm now using a cheap muffler because I cant afford to keep buying mufflers. but I'm still the same boat. this one has been on for 2 days and already blew up. someone please help!!!

Old 12-10-2016, 08:13 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See Hemi engines breathe like a mother F*ck, and when you put the pedal down they will trash mufflers. I gave up on mufflers, for one they always blow out and two it sounds like God himself kicking the devils *** and its so sweet, I get compliments all the time on the sound, and the truck made itself sound that way.

My truck had a brand new muffler when I bought it from my friend February 24th of 2014, by April of '14 I had just the manifolds, cats & Y pipe left because the muffler pretty much exploded. Also by April I was on my second set of rear tires.

My friend had at least 5 mufflers on it when he owned it. Always blew them out.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
See Hemi engines breathe like a mother F*ck, and when you put the pedal down they will trash mufflers. I gave up on mufflers, for one they always blow out and two it sounds like God himself kicking the devils *** and its so sweet, I get compliments all the time on the sound, and the truck made itself sound that way.

My truck had a brand new muffler when I bought it from my friend February 24th of 2014, by April of '14 I had just the manifolds, cats & Y pipe left because the muffler pretty much exploded. Also by April I was on my second set of rear tires.

My friend had at least 5 mufflers on it when he owned it. Always blew them out.
So you are saying it's completely normal to continually blow out mufflers?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Where are the pics of said blown up muffler/s? flowmaster makes a lot of different mufflers. The model used also would be helpful.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...mparison-guide

Old 12-11-2016, 10:05 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Flow masters are not a good muffler they do have baffle issues. You need to check for exhaust flow. Something is causing back pressure. It's possible you have a CAT coming apart and plugging things up. you can check your self or have a reputable shop check.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:08 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

I guess my 04 Hemi 1500 was broken. I never blew up mufflers.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by p38251
I guess my 04 Hemi 1500 was broken. I never blew up mufflers.
You probably don't pound the hell out of it like I do. My buddy was an EMT/First Responder and my truck never had it easy in his or my care. My brothers hemi Durango muffler is starting to get louder, he's had it two years.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:15 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by p38251
Flow masters are not a good muffler they do have baffle issues. You need to check for exhaust flow. Something is causing back pressure. It's possible you have a CAT coming apart and plugging things up. you can check your self or have a reputable shop check.
If cats were plugged the muffler wouldn't be blowing up...less pressure.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:27 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by jkeaton
So you are saying it's completely normal to continually blow out mufflers?
A lot of things can affect that, but its nothing wrong with the engine or cats, so the expensive parts of your truck are completely normal, its actually a good sign that you're blowing mufflers out, means your engine is a pretty healthy breather. Hemi engines do one thing better than pretty much any engine on the planet and thats breath very well, and all of that pressure needs to go somewhere, over time that breathing power can exert and expose crappy quality of muffler especially with how much you stomp on the gas. Things that can help are a less restrictive muffler, bigger piping or a glass pack or better quality muffler. Sound is subjective, if you're looking for something that won't blow apart, a glass pack style muffler is a pretty solid choice, I've had pretty good luck with mine on past vehicles. The cylindrical shape lends itself well for durability & pressure exertion as well as the free flowing barrel style of the design to letting exhaust gasses escape.

The stock muffler is not up to the long term task for an enthusiast who pounds on their vehicle all the time, there are better quality mufflers out there up to the task but I really don't know what too many of those would be as I don't believe in mufflers on a Hemi.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 12-12-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:43 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just buy a facory exhaust set-up from one of these guys that took theirs off? Or go to the junk yard and cut one off. I am still running my factory resonator and muffler and believe me it flows and sounds very good.
I have no problem showing these new hemi's that the first ones are real screamers and nothing to underestimate! Had a new one the other day challenge me and when he heard and saw me going around him his jaw dropped.
I admit that my exhaust has opened up over the last few years but personally having a stainless steel exhaust that was designed for my motor and performs as well as it does without modifications other than changing out my Y a few years ago is really the way to go unless you have some serious engine mods that require more exhaust. From what I have learned about the Hemi over the years I have had it is it needs a certain amount of back-pressure and having a wide open exhaust may not have a positive effect on performance.

just my 2 cents

OEM off-road 17's, BFG LT's, Airraid CAI, Cortex 3950, Magnaflow Y, Detroit TT, Mag Hytec trans and rear, SRT A-pillar w/ Autometer trans temp., 190 T-stat, Pwr stop drilled/slot all 4, Power wire, Grnd T-body