2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

exhaust check

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:36 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default exhaust check

I am hearing a tap throttle noise mostly when giving gas an it sounds like exhaust related, I also had 2 codes for exhaust leak one minor an another major , but I did find hoses that had leaks an splits an repaired them -one at vapor canister an solenoid .
Is there a good way to find the leak in exhaust without having to take it in to repair shop for test?
I'm hoping it's not a issue with manifild bolts .(common with Dodge)
What usually is the tap tap exhaust noise that u hear when accelerating that's quiet when cruising?..

Note this vehicle has been used by last owner to pull a boat a lot an rust is pretty bad under it from all the exposure to water .

Any info is appreciated.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:07 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the noise go away when the engine heats up, or is it constant during both cold/hot operations?

The manifolds are known to crack, also it could be a leak between the manifold and y-pipe. Or broken manifold studs. Find a good local shop who will smoke test it for you.

The national shops will charge you through the nose to take a look at it, and usually they won't find the problem.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Check the joints from manifold to Y pipe and Y pipe to exhaust. Can also get a piece of 1/2" rubber hose and use it as stethoscope.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:03 PM
hidden1
Captain

It's constant but when cruising an u let up on gas it's quiet till u reaccelerate.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 PM
hidden1
Captain

I've heard about doing a check with a shop vac in tailpipe blowing inward (after vacuum is drawn in to get loose debris) an using soapy water at pipe all the way to manifold looking for the bubbling , but not sure if this method works.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hidden1
I've heard about doing a check with a shop vac in tailpipe blowing inward (after vacuum is drawn in to get loose debris) an using soapy water at pipe all the way to manifold looking for the bubbling , but not sure if this method works.

The smoke test works the same way, just replace the soapy water with something smoldering in the shop vac. (or on the intake side of the shop vac)

Then look for smoke coming out somewhere along the pipe.