3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Let Us Not Dwell On The Tragedies of Yesterday

Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Let Us Not Dwell On The Tragedies of Yesterday

But speak of opportunities tomorrow.

Sooo, during the snowstorm yesterday I started the truck at work and got out to clear it off. Everything ready, I went to climb in and doh! I must have hit the lock button on the way out because it is locked and running.

No problem, thinks I, just a coat hanger and push down on a window controller or the unlock button and away we go. Heck no, 300 people work in my office and not a single real coat hanger to be had.

Okay, time to regroup! I have a truck! and in the back of that truck are tools, must be some way to get the rear slider open and use the snow brush to open a window.

Well it's open, but as my neighbour said, open and broken aren't the same thing.

Now, I'm looking for just the sliding piece of the window. Saw a great usetubes video on how to remove and replace it, but I just need one. Failing that, I could use the measurements of the glass portion and have an acrylic one made.

I've been to the u-pull-it and they don't have any with the sliders (anything from 1997 on apparently uses the same window), but still have to check their other location. Easy fix if I can find one, but for now I'm just a little more redneck with red sheathing tape filling the hole.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:45 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, that sucks!

Here is one on Ebay, it's listed as a 97-04 Dakota window, but he says that the window is the same size as ours, only the latch is different.

Or a new whole solid window is listed here, for not much more $$.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:10 PM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Well, that sucks!

Here is one on Ebay, it's listed as a 97-04 Dakota window, but he says that the window is the same size as ours, only the latch is different.

Or a new whole solid window is listed here, for not much more $$.

Thanks Dakotaff!

I was going to update this, but got busy at work.

I was considering leaving the red tape filler in for a few days, just to up the redneck quotient on my street, but the noise and wind was a little too much.

I visited the Ottawa yard of Kenny-U-Pull, as they listed four 2nd gens there. Took a look and found only solid glass rears and one that was already missing. I did get lucky, since there was a 3rd Gen that wasn't in their inventory list so took a look, but only solid glass, however, sitting in the back (seats were already gone) was the tire-changing tool kit. Mine was missing parts when I bought the truck so for $5 plus tax, it was mine.

A little disappointed, I made plans to go to the Gatineau yard, as they showed 8 2nd Gens in their inventory. Got very lucky and found one with good glass, and removed it per the Usetoobs video I saw. Came out in seconds and off I went, for around $12 plus tax.

The yard is a bit of a long drive, so I thought I'd put it in before I left, so I wouldn't have to come back. Well, the video is on an extra cab, not a crew cab, so didn't show what to do with the seat-belt mount that is right in the way of slipping the window into the channel.

I could tell it would fit, so I home I drove. I then removed the passenger side seat and discovered that the mount won't move, but the cap on it does (which could have been done with the seat in place)

It took some verrry careful jiggling it finally slipped in, and the latch worked.

I've ordered another set of remotes, and will be hiding the non-chipped key in the box, in case I do this again . . .

Thanks again for the look.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM
dakoton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for to have a reference, could you share the video to see how the middle glass is removed/installed?

Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 PM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by dakoton
Just for to have a reference, could you share the video to see how the middle glass is removed/installed?

Here it is!

Easy Peasy!

Search this Thread