2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota hood latch release relocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Grille upgrade and hood latch release relocation

So, I'm planning on doing black honeycomb plastic mesh in the grille. I don't want to cut a hole in it for the hood latch release. I've seen the rod and zip tie method, but was wondering if anyone has done anything a little cleaner and more reliable. I'd like to not ever fuss with it again, after I'm done.

I'm thinking I'll peruse the junkyard and see what I can come with. Maybe fab up a trunk release lever and cable, or hood release from another car. Maybe even a fuel latch release, seeing how many are push levers and I could reverse install it on the grille tubular frame. Whatcha got, fellas?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-23-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: updating title
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

The second release is outside for a reason so you don't accidentally pop the hood driving. Believe me in 1975 I was testing a VW Ghia and popped the hood by accident trying to find the heater control going 35 mph. WHAM the hood popped open scared the crap out of me. Back then cars had one hood release inside not all cars but some did very unsafe.

If that’s what you’re thinking

I wanted that Ghia bad nice car back then engine was in the rear cargo was up front I built Hot fast engines for them back then. Have a laugh at the large steering wheel a VW screw up everyone swapped them out.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

I'm not talking about fully releasing from inside. I'm talking about connecting a lever to open the safety catch from outside, so I don't have to reach through the grille.

Something like this...but I want an actual lever, instead of fussing with the end of a rod.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-16-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

i did the rod method...i know it doesnt help, but yea.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Got it all figured out. I got a release mechanism out of a Lexus and it fit perfectly, like it was made for the Dakota. I didn't even have to cut the rod. All I did was grip the rod end with two pliers and twist the ends, so they were parallel, instead of being diametrically opposed.

Beat down an area of the grille tube frame with a hammer to flatten, drilled three holes in all and that was it! Has a nice tab I squeeze and works like it should have been OEM. I can open the hood with one hand now. I don't think there is a better solution out there, even on the aftermarket. It won't rust and won't fail..works just like it did on the lexus.

I'll shut up and commence with the pics....

This is now the second Lexus part added to my truck and functioning perfectly. Maybe I'll be able to achieve Lexus quality if I keep going. LOL

Grille mesh replacement to come next.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-18-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

IOW you used the rod method with a fancy handle on the end :P

Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
IOW you used the rod method with a fancy handle on the end :P
Well this is a fancy Lexus rod, not your avg. At least that's what I told her. LOL

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-18-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Got the grille done!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-23-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:34 AM
durango_rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Got it all figured out. I got a release mechanism out of a Lexus and it fit perfectly, like it was made for the Dakota. I didn't even have to cut the rod. All I did was grip the rod end with two pliers and twist the ends, so they were parallel, instead of being diametrically opposed.

Beat down an area of the grille tube frame with a hammer to flatten, drilled three holes in all and that was it! Has a nice tab I squeeze and works like it should have been OEM. I can open the hood with one hand now. I don't think there is a better solution out there, even on the aftermarket. It won't rust and won't fail..works just like it did on the lexus.

This is now the second Lexus part added to my truck and functioning perfectly. Maybe I'll be able to achieve Lexus quality if I keep going. LOL

Grille mesh replacement to come next.

What year/model lexus did you pull that release mechanism from?

Old 12-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by durango_rt
What year/model lexus did you pull that release mechanism from?
I got it from an RX 350. I want to say it was around 2004 or so. It works extremely well, like it was made for the truck. I forget it's there now. I simply grab the middle of the hood with an upturned palm and it opens. No searching for the lever.

Edit: RX300 works too

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-14-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Dakota hood latch release relocation