2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Code 37 new ram owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Joshua82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 37 new ram owner

So I'm new to this forum and recently purchased a 1995 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with 318 motor. The truck is in perfect shape but had transmission issues so I got it for $500. It is reading a code 37 so I replaced the torque converter clutch solenoid and replace the filter and gasket with new ATF +4 . I drove the truck to and from work two times about a total of 42 miles altogether and the truck worked fine I want to drive it this morning and it started to slip out of gear again so I had it towed home. I'm confused on why it ran so good for a couple dAys and then started with the same symptoms. My torque converter stall speed is 2200 RPM. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Recheck your fluid level. Have to check it in neutral. Checking in park will give you an artificially high reading. Also, get rid of the check valve in the cooler line going to the Radiator. They like to clog, and burn up the trans.

How many miles on the truck?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

My ram always reads code 37.

NOTE #1 - From the 1995 TRUCK (Ram) manuals: the trailer towing package includes a transmission coolant temp sensor while the standard package doesn't. The fault code detection system is probably the same for both models. This could cause the low (no) voltage indication....no sensor to send any voltage.

This quote is from : http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Mine is a 94, and I have no hitch, but have a 5th wheel, but has always read the code 37. Mine shifts and drives fine. Not sure if it matters, but wanted to put that in there.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Recheck your fluid level. Have to check it in neutral. Checking in park will give you an artificially high reading. Also, get rid of the check valve in the cooler line going to the Radiator. They like to clog, and burn up the trans.

How many miles on the truck?
To piggy back on HeyYou, I also recommend checking your fluid level again, and in neutral. I recently did an engine swap, new TC and the lot, and that sucker needed quite a bit of fluid to fully fill everything that needed to be. Would fill in neutral, then do some forward-reverse a couple times a short distance, which makes it go through the gearing obviously, and then check again after a couple. Repeated a few times until everything appeared to be full and settled out, because it would always end up low again after a try or two, or sitting for a few mins.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 AM
Joshua82
Default Checked fluid

Hey guys sorry for the late response. Been at work. Story of my life. I checked the fluid in neutral and it's full. I went to the local advance auto and got a transmission temp sensor but I can't see where it goes. Everything I find online says it's right by the pan on the driver's side? I might just have it taken in to have it looked at..I'm really itching to get her on the road

Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Joshua82

Oh and the truck has 246 k and the tranny was rebuilt at 150 k

Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by Joshua82
I might just have it taken in to have it looked at..I'm really itching to get her on the road
Trust me, I know the feeling, I've got my trucks entire interior literally sitting next to my bed xD Need to finish running a few wires under carpet before im going to be able to button it back up! Really want to drive it with all the new things I did to it, and more so I want my rooms floor space back

Oh and check this out, this should be of help for you: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...it-photos.html truck in photo "should" also be a 95.

Last edited by Maximillio; 01-19-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The trans temp sensor, if you have one.... Will be on the cooler line coming out of the trans at the front. Should be within a few inches of the trans itself. It screws onto a T fitting on the cooler line.

If you truck doesn't have it..... the line may have been changed, or, the PCM may have been swapped at some point, from a truck that DID have it. Check and see if there is a connector hangin' out down there, that might have gone to the sensor at some point.

I would also be tempted to get a build sheet for your truck, and see if the factory thinks there should be a sensor there.