1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:59 PM
93blueone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel noise

Today I had some new stock wheels installed on my truck. The original wheels were just butt ugly and I bought a set of wheels that look more like spoke wheels. They came off a 96 Dakota. I have the same size as I originally had. I just mounted the tires on the newer wheels and put them on my vehicle. Same size wheel and same size tires //// As soon as I left the tire shop I turned right and the wheel sounded like it was rubbing. It stopped when I started driving straight. Turn left its ok, turn right noise. Happened all the way home. When I got home I parked truck and turned wheels right got out and looked for evidence of rubbing and found nothing . ON either side. Turned left and nothing. Take it out on road and it makes the noise. I dont understand this. Same size wheels and tires as before and it makes the noise. Is there something with the Dakota mags that is causing this or ???? Im confused.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

What's the offset? What was the old rim's offset?

That'll make a difference.

RwP

Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM
93blueone
Default wheel noise

Offset just brings wheel in or out for stance and I understand that . The offset on the wheels I now have on it are 38. I dont have the others . The offset stated allowable offset was 24-38. That being said shouldnt the wheels be ok since they are 38? If they are wrong offset how do I fix the issue ? Spacers?
Im going to pull the wheels today and see what I can find out.
If offset is incorrect they why is there no noise when I turn left?

I have checked several tire sites and found the offset to be for my tire size 235/15s offset to be the same at 38.1mm thru 1999 .

Last edited by 93blueone; 01-19-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 AM
RalphP
Champion

These trucks are not perfectly symmetrical; I also have a rub on a hard right turn but nowhere else, since I swapped to the Jeep wheels and the P235/75R15XL tires.

And it's on the left front tire, too.

So eh. I just avoid hard rights for now.

RwP

Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

What rubs? Wheel or tire? When I had my Cherokees,, all with 235/75r15's

When I had Michelin tires on it, no rub. I put Kelly's on it and they rubbed on hard turns,. Same size tires.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 PM
93blueone

found the wheel weight installed so it stuck out and when the wheel was turned to the right it rubbed on the upper control arm causing a noise . I simply took off weight and moved it to the front of the wheel and "silence is golden". Problem solved.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:55 PM
RalphP
Champion

Tire; it's a Provider Entrada HT set. Overall I'm happy with them; but yah, the left tire rubs on a hard right turn.

I had them put on after swapping to the Jeep wheels, so it might have been the tires all along.

I'll keep that in mind, Volaredon, for my next set of tires.

93blueone - Yah, that's an odd one for sure. Glad you found it!

RwP

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

My son has a Ramcharger. I remember when he got it ~4-5 years ago, we were in a Walmart and went back to the tire Dep't to look around. They had 3 different tires available in stock, in that size. One Uniroyal, one Goodyear, and one Bridgestone. I pulled one of each off the shelf and set them next to each other. 2 were pretty close to the same height, one was almost 3/4" shorter! All were new, still had stickers on them. all were marked the same size on the sidewall. but huge difference.

On just transferring the weight to the outside; no good. How did they balance them/ Dynamic or Static? Dynamic puts weight on both inside and outside as needed. Static generally puts weight just on the inside. Great for "hiding" the weight so you don't see it on the outside, but bad for tire life and ride. They make different profile weights, with different clips for the various rim lip configuration. some stick up farther than others.
if you must static balance (like the early/mid 90s Jeep mags that didn't have a lip that could hold a weight) youre best to use a stic on weight about in the center of the wheel between the inside and outside flanges. most balancers have a mode available were you can tape weight the outer part like behind the spokes and use a clip on, on the inner flange.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 PM
93blueone

I still have a wheel rubbing and I have decided to install spacers . I am not sure what size to install nor which one to install. Spacers I believe fit over the lugs and adapters bolt on to existing lugs. My question is if I use bolt on what is minimum size to use that doesnt require grinding the studs down? I was told that 1" is minimum then I was told 1 1/2" was minimum.
I tried a 1/4" spacer and it still rubs . I am going to switch the rear wheel with the front wheel and see what happens tomorrow. I have looked here and didnt find an answer to my specific issue. So, I come here to see what I can find.
Thanks in advance