2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Faild MDS Solenoid Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faild MDS Solenoid Circuit

How much damage, if any is being caused by driving my 08 5.7 Durango with a faulty MDS solenoid (#7).

Just popped a code a few weeks ago about the circuit being open, but at 6f and no garage to do the work, I don't much feel like digging into things until later this spring.

The only thing I'v noticed is that the mileage is down about 1.5 to 2 mpg's...otherwise nada...oh and remote start doesn't work with CEL...so stupid.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It won't do any harm if it's OPEN. When you do go in to fix it, replace ALL of them and replace the little wiring harness under the intake also. If you're worried unplug the grey connector on the back of the drivers side cylinder head.

Last edited by TNtech; 01-19-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Flue
Veteran

Thanks. Kind of figured that was the case.

Just watched a vid about replacing the things, and yeah, def will do ALL of them whilst I'm there.

Maybe I'll replace the vacuum hose to clear out the 'small leak detected' as well. Have looked into it, but haven't decided if I need to replace all the way to the tank, or just the plastic elbows.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Be careful taking them out. There's really no one right way because they become brittle over time. I usually break out the top part and use a fat screw in the middle to try and wedge them out. I soak them with rust penetrant first for a while then flood them with spray lubricant before I go to start removing them.

Just look for cracked rubber hoses. The ESIM switches are cheap junk too. They can sometimes leak internally. I also see quite a bit of critter damage on the plastic hoses on the tank, on Durangos and Trucks in particular.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Flue
Veteran

It may be the ESIM switch? That might make sense, I popped the vacuum leak code while getting the crap bounced out of us on a 'back' road south of Jackson, WY. Haven't been on a washboard road that stinking bad in 20 years...surprised there was any rust after the 25 mile trip.

I'll have to look for that thing...still haven't found the evap canister.

I hate working on the thing, I'm not nearly triple jointed enough.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Flue
Veteran

suggestions on what 'else' to replace whilst I'm doing the solenoids? From what I've seen/read it's not a quick and dirty job to get to the solenoids...might as well do some extra while I'm there.