1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'92 Dakota Wheel Center Cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
zcg4755
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 Dakota Wheel Center Cap

Recently purchased a set of reconditioned 15x6" steel wheels, and I'm not a huge fan of the stock center caps.

Does anyone know if a set of these will fit? I realize that they are for a '94-'96 chrome Dakota wheel, but I would love to make a set of these work. The lip is slightly different. I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone's ever tried it. Thank you.

Last edited by zcg4755; 01-20-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It's also a variance from approximately 6 5/8" to 7 5/8" ... so from those numbers, I'd say no.

Only way to tell for sure is to find one and test fit, though.

At $50/each, I don't blame you for not wanting to try one from them. Might find one at the Pull-A-Part and try?

RwP

Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM
zcg4755
Professional

I know. =/ The center cap itself might be larger in diameter, but my hope was that the lip on the backside might extend to the same location as the stock center cap. It looks like the lip extends further on the stock cap, possibly compensating for the larger diameter. If that makes any sense at all.

I'll have to try that. Most places around here have been picked clean of first gen Dakota parts. Not giving up yet. I appreciate the response.

Last edited by zcg4755; 01-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 AM
SteveDes
Rookie
Default Center caps

I have these caps and bought some used off of eBay for way less than half that price. I think they would fit being they clip on the lug nuts and if the stock wheel takes a bigger cap and the bolt pattern size isnt changing , there should be plenty of room for the outside edge of the cap to fit. If that makes sense. I would try to find a local source you could try first tho.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:04 PM
zcg4755
Professional

Originally Posted by SteveDes
I have these caps and bought some used off of eBay for way less than half that price. I think they would fit being they clip on the lug nuts and if the stock wheel takes a bigger cap and the bolt pattern size isnt changing , there should be plenty of room for the outside edge of the cap to fit. If that makes sense. I would try to find a local source you could try first tho.
Bought myself a set off eBay last week for $50. Unfortunately, they do not fit. They sit atop the wheel opening, but they do not sit in far enough. The clips on the wheel sit about an inch back from the center cap. I have no way to lock the caps in.

I bought myself a set of the correct caps for my wheel. Hopefully I can use the original caps to engineer something and make it work. Looks like I need some sort of rubber lip to grab the clips. The mock-up looked sick. Think Charger police interceptor dog dish caps/wheels.