1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Frame Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Silver1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Swap

My frame is pretty much toast on my '95 5.2L 4x4 Dakota, ext cab. I found a potential donor truck for a replacement frame. It's a '93 3.9L 4x4, ext cab. Can anyone give me input on this swap. What I really hope do is swap frames without removing engine and tranny from either cab. (Sounds crazy probably, but I have seen it done. Would save me a lot of time.) I also am hoping to avoid swapping as many other parts as possible. Does anyone have advice on something like this?

Does anyone know if differentials and suspension parts would be the same between these different years and motors? Any other parts of this I may be overlooking?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

what is wrong with the 93? Sounds like you are just wanting to take what is needed from the 95 to make the 93 driveable. use the 93 drivetrain, etc.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Silver1995

The '93 is from a seller on Craigslist with no title. The transmission is also bad and body isn't in as good of shape as my truck.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what you mean? The engine and transmission are mounted to the frame. The Cab is secured to the frame with 4 bolts, and the bed with 8. Are you going to keep all the stuff mounted to the new frame like brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, axles, front suspension, radiator core, etc? What about bumpers front and rear?

I tore my 90 all the way down to the frame removing engine, transmission, cab, bed and radiator core. It's not too bad as long as you leaving the rear wiring harness, fuel and brake lines, and vent lines in place....

Old 01-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Silver1995

I'm trying to do as little work and save as much time as possible. If I could avoid opening up the cooling system, and AC (actually still working), that would be great. Basically, the more I keep intact, the less I have to take apart and put back together. Maybe I am overthinking it and it's not a lot more work to do those things, but that is what I am trying to avoid if I can.

I have seen it done where the cab is put on stands at the mounts, the engine is suspended from above with a hoist and then the transmission is supported by a 4x4 running from one side of the vehicle to other. The frame was then undone, lowered, and then slid out from underneath on a couple of jacks.

If I can get away with leaving, differentials, suspension parts, brake lines, fuel tanks, wiring harnesses, and fuel lines on the frames they came from, that will also save me a lot of work.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Silver1995

I am counting on removing the front bumper. I think I will switch the beds after I have the cab back on my truck. What I am wanting to know from anyone is rather I can get away with just using all the stuff that will be attached to the '93 frame. Wanted to know if different differentials were used with the v6 than the v8. I didn't know if anyone would know that right off or not. I have had more time to read though and I am guessing they did use different differentials.

I'm also just looking for pointers in general from anyone who has done a frame replacement.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

You can do what you're suggesting, but it will take alot of stands and suspension of parts...You'll have to:

Remove the front and rear bumpers (attached to frame)
Unbolt the radiator core support and hang it from above
Unbolt the motor and hang it from above
Undo the inner fender well skirts...they attach to both fenders and frame
Remove the steering rod from the cab to the steering pinion (assuming you're keeping the pinions on the donor truck)
Remove the power steering hoses (because that attaches engine to pinion)
Remove the brake lines from the master cylinder or the master cylinder from the vacuum booster
Disconect the fuel line from the engine
Disconnect the Y exhaust adapter from the engine to the lower exhaust
Remove the cab bolts and jack up
Unbolt the transmission from the crossmember attached to frame and suspend it from Cab somehow
Unbolt and suspend engine from above keeping it level with fenders, cab and radiator support
Unbolt and jack up bed.
Disconnect rear wiring harness from main harness

If you do all that and probably a few more things I'm forgetting you can roll the frame out

Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Silver1995

robertmee, thanks. That's the kind of insight I am looking for. What you described is basically how I saw it done as far as how to suspend everything before dropping the frame. What I don't know is all the little details about what will have to be undone and what what will be compatible with the replacement frame that I am looking for.
For one, I didn't know the radiator would also have to be suspended along with the tranny and engine. I thought there may brackets on the sides that may keep the radiator in. To be honest, I just haven't gone over it that thoroughly yet.

I have done an engine swap on a Blazer, but that is the most extensive repair I have done, so there will be a lot of new learning on this one. Anything I can learn the easy way will be great.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like they already explained things enough here. I did a 4wd swap a long time ago, which involved a frame swap. Here is the write up I did.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...tml#post950272

Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

And to be clear it's the radiator support not just the radiator....the radiator core support holds the radiator and front headlights....it attaches to the fenders up top and to the frame down below by two large bolts and body mounts. So remove the two bolts at the frame and leave the fender attached if holding everything from above.