3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Towing advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:53 PM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing advice

I expect to take my '67 GTO from Houston to Dallas in July for the Pontiac-Oakland Club Int'l show. They will feature the model year 1967 as it is the 50th anniversary for that year. Pretty cool. I can rent a tandem axle car hauler from UHaul. I did the same in 1996 when I brought the GTO over from New Orleans when we moved. I used a small UHaul box truck as the towing vehicle. Now I'll use my '13 Durango with a factory tow set up. The trailer will weigh 2,200 lbs and the car will weigh 3,500 for a ttl of 5,700 lbs towed weight. UHaul says no problem. Their website also says this "Weight distributing or sway control devices ARE NOT USED for towing an auto transport trailer. Towing a properly loaded auto transport trailer does not require these devices. These devices may have a negative effect on vehicle handling and braking and may restrict the operation of the trailer coupling mechanism."

I am hoping that there are board members here that can comment on the tow characteristics of the D with a load of 5,700 lbs on the hitch. What does the braking feel like? Does it feel safe? Any issues going up or down mild inclines? It'll be about 200 miles. Speed limit is 70-75. With a heavy load, what speed is comfortable to travel at without getting tailgated for going too slow? Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

surge brakes are a definite step down from electric brakes imo.

I have towed uhaul enclosed trailers but total weight was maybe 4000lbs and i was towing with an extended wheelbase 2500 series truck. I had no issues but the truck was very overbuilt to tow the load i had.

for you case, no brainer, stay off the 70mph highways...way to fast with no wd hitch and the amount of weight your towing. borderline safe. Don't go over 55mph.

If you had a car hauler with a wd hitch and electric brakes and a factory built in control with factory sway control...i would say no problem.

the hemi is a strong engine...it will pull the weight.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While you'll be towing a total weight of 5,700 Lbs I doubt that the load on the hitch will be that amount. The "tongue" weight on the hitch should be much less than that with the tandem car trailer.

Check the Owner's Manual. In the towing section they have a chart showing maximum trailer and tongue weights for the various engine/drive train combinations. For example, my 2013 Hemi AWD Crew manual states in the chart maximum gross trailer weight 7200 Lbs; maximum tongue weight 720 Lbs. The manual also offers additional towing advice.

Last edited by DDCREW; 01-23-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by DDCREW
While you'll be towing a total weight of 5,700 Lbs I doubt that the load on the hitch will be that amount. The "tongue" weight on the hitch should be much less than that with the tandem car trailer.

Check the Owner's Manual. In the towing section they have a chart showing maximum trailer and tongue weights for the various engine/drive train combinations. For example, my 2013 Hemi AWD Crew manual states in the chart maximum gross trailer weight 7200 Lbs; maximum tongue weight 720 Lbs. The manual also offers additional towing advice.
Sorry to mislead. I didn't mean 5,700 lbs on the hitch itself. I meant it to mean 5,700 lbs being pulled behind the car. The curb weight of the D is 5,100 lbs +/-. So the brakes will be handling almost 11,000 lbs. Trying to get and idea of what that will feel like.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Waynead
Veteran

I didn't see if you have a hemi, but I tow a 6600lb Airstream with my hemi. No problems. But you do want good brakes on the trailer. I find the Durango rotors warp easily so you want the trailer doing it's share of the braking. It's also much safer.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Waynead
Veteran

It's VERY important to have a proper load on the hitch. 10-15% of the trailer weight is the norm, so you want 570-855. The upper end of that would require a weight distributing hitch. Improper hitch weight can cause severe sway.

Personally I wouldn't tow without a WD hitch with sway control, and an electric brake controller.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Thanks to all. it seems UHaul car trailers are equipped with surge brakes. Since I will mostly be on flat roads, I think I'll be ok as long as I can avoid panic stops. If I do this, I'll report results. BTW, it is an R/T with a Hemi.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Waynead
Veteran

Originally Posted by pjw1967
I think I'll be ok as long as I can avoid panic stops.
Well no one goes out knowing there will be a panic stop- that's why they are panic stops.

I hope you don't have one, but if you do I hope no one (you or an innocent bystander) gets hurt.

I think everyone should drive as if there WILL be a panic stop and they are prepared to deal with it safely.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:20 AM
trace001
Default Towing Advice

You will be ok if you have a Hemi. The 3.6 does not have the torque to handle that load. I towed a 12 ft enclosed trailer with 3 motorcycles in it with my "13 D with a 3.6 and the transmission downshifted to 3rd gear at the slightest hint of an upgrade and would stay there for an extended period of time. Unless you have trailer brakes, coast to slow down until you reach about 40 mph or you risk warping brake rotors.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by trace001
You will be ok if you have a Hemi. The 3.6 does not have the torque to handle that load. I towed a 12 ft enclosed trailer with 3 motorcycles in it with my "13 D with a 3.6 and the transmission downshifted to 3rd gear at the slightest hint of an upgrade and would stay there for an extended period of time. Unless you have trailer brakes, coast to slow down until you reach about 40 mph or you risk warping brake rotors.
Thanks for the coasting advice. What about downshifting a gear or 2? Better to strain the brakes than the tranny?