Dodge Durango How to Tighten Alternator Pulley Nut? Keeps Spinning

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:25 AM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dodge Durango How to Tighten Alternator Pulley Nut? Keeps Spinning

Hi everyone,

So I decided to replace my alternator which was showing signs of starting to go back. My battery gauge dropped to 0 on a trip I took. Staying ahead of the game, I even upgraded to a higher amp model re-manufactured by Denso. So the morons who rebuilt the unit must have not tightened the nut that holds the pulley down the spec. A week after installing the alternator, my truck threw the nut and pulley and belt while I was driving. I had to get a tow back to my place.

Lucky I hadn't returned my old unit yet. My nut fits on perfectly, however, I can't super tighten the nut because well the pulley spings even under the belts tension. I thought about jamming a screw driver via the back but thought that would probably bend the metal fan which could throw something off spec.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this done. The middle of the part that holds the nut its shaped like a socket (6 points) but none of my mm or standard sockets fit correctly. Figured if I put a socket on the male bolt and then tried to tighten the nut with an open wrench, that might work. But again the male stud isn't a standard socket size.

Thoughts?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Easiest way is going to be with an impact wrench.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

could try a strap wrench

Old 01-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Harbor freight sells cheap electric impact wrenches. I got one and I can't tell you how many times it's saved me. Nice to rotate the tires with too. If you happen to get one, don't over do it or it will strip the nut.... Just blip the trigger a few times.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-h...nch-61173.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-24-2017 at 10:28 AM.