2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manifold Smoking, Cant remove?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 PM
1Austin112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold Smoking, Cant remove?

Hey all, First time user on here, Normally I stick with my ford truck but my brother wanted a ram for his first truck. Having a bit of trouble though so hoping someone can help...

Its a 97 ram 2500 5.9L heavy duty. Got it for a really good deal but the passenger manifold starts smoking really bad after 2-3 minutes, It seems as there is some type of oil/grease or chemical all over the manifold thats causing it to smoke. I tried removing it to wire wheel all the rust and junk off but the manifold is really stuck. the 2 end bolts on each side came off no problem but the 2 center bolts snapped off where the bolt head and washer meet. I had to heat up the stud and washer to break the rust weld from the stud. The two studs in the center that broke at the bolt head are still in but all smooth which shouldnt keep holding the manifold to the engine. Are there any tricks on getting this manifold to come loose so I can either wire wheel it or most likely just replace it? Cant drive it with it smoking as it gets pretty bad the longer it runs. ( Im also sure its not a head gasket issue or oil leaking from the valve cover )

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

All that crap has to be coming from somewhere..... Did someone fix the valve cover gasket before you got it?

To get the manifold off, you also need to remove the bolts from the y-pipe to manifold. Might even have to do both sides, so it will drop out of the way... then the manifold should just pull right off.

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 PM
1Austin112

Originally Posted by HeyYou
All that crap has to be coming from somewhere..... Did someone fix the valve cover gasket before you got it?

To get the manifold off, you also need to remove the bolts from the y-pipe to manifold. Might even have to do both sides, so it will drop out of the way... then the manifold should just pull right off.

Welcome to DF!
Valve cover gasket looks to be original. I picked up new gaskets for both sides to replace just in case. I'm aware about the y pipe, that's already been disconnected, it feels almost as if the manifold is welded to the head itself. I've rebuilt engines before so my skill level is up there, just wanted to see if there was a hidden trick with this truck

Thanks

Old 02-17-2017, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Six bolts, and the y-pipe. If you have them all out/broken off.... probably just rust-welded on. Might be able to break it loose with a couple long screwdrivers.... I am reluctant to suggest the hot wrench, unless you are indeed going to replace the manifold.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:09 PM
1Austin112

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Six bolts, and the y-pipe. If you have them all out/broken off.... probably just rust-welded on. Might be able to break it loose with a couple long screwdrivers.... I am reluctant to suggest the hot wrench, unless you are indeed going to replace the manifold.
That's what I figured. It's not drivable in the current state so if replacing it is needed then that's fine. Hot wrenching would be difficult as I don't have a acy torch, only a map / oxy torch which probably wouldn't cut it, guess I'll break out a bfh and see what happens. Thanks

Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe a 2x4 or other blunt object you could fish up underneath the truck to where the y-pipe bolts up to the manifold and give a good tap with a hammer away from the motor. Never done it so I don't know how the access is for trying it.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 PM
1Austin112

Originally Posted by racefan41
Maybe a 2x4 or other blunt object you could fish up underneath the truck to where the y-pipe bolts up to the manifold and give a good tap with a hammer away from the motor. Never done it so I don't know how the access is for trying it.
access is no issue. Truck is sitting on 33" tires so I've got plenty of room, I tried shoving a pipe in the bottom of the collector where the manifold meets the y pipe and prying but no budge, maybe a bit of heat and a 2x4 will help

Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might clean up the area and spray some PB Blast along the entire manifold a few times.