1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Travel Trailer length vs Durango vehicle width

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 02:24 AM
Garyjamesquam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Trailer length vs Durango vehicle width

I was told by a travel Trailer dealer that my 2000 Dodge Durango STL with a tow package did not have the proper stance, width, to tow a 25' travel trailer. The trailer weight was below the stated 7300 lbs capacity of my Durango. He indicated that the wider trucks would be required to pull a 25' travel trailer because the length had a safety variable on the smaller suspension which could cause me to lose control of both vehicles. Since everyone has an opinion I thought I would ask to ensure the veracity of his opinion. He seemed honest and only concerned for my safety. So, what's the scoop... Thanks Gary Quam
Email- garyreno@aol.com

Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

while the Durangos are not the widest vehicles on the road, they are not by any stretch of the imagination narrow.

That said, a quick google search did turn up this
https://www.synthx.com/articles/trailer-stability.html

which does mention width compared to axle separation (front axle of trailer to rear axle of tow vehicle), no math to let you know whats significant or not unfortunately.

do a little bit of googling around for more details, but i dont suspect that you would have any issues

Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM
noman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a semi, I've seen it go both ways. I've watch people pulling to much trailer for their vehicle even though it was below the capacity and almost wreck. I've watched people do just fine with it. Usually the ones almost wrecking are running at higher speeds. The ones doing fine are willing to drive slower one the interstate. That's just what I've noticed.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a while back that durangos actually have full size axles. 65 inches I think? Wms-wms. But the wheel offset is what sets the durango apart from the full size trucks. As far as weight goes, I wouldn't put more than 5,000 behind mine for a long trip i know that much. But it is a half ton truck. Pretty capable

Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

The way I see it, the trailer dealer was being honest with you and had nothing to gain. He could have pushed a trailer sale, knowing your truck wasn't up to capacity and watch you drive off as he profits. I'd be more likely to believe him, than not.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm tempted to call BS on the 'not wide enough' thing. You didn't mention what the trailer weighs, but I wouldn't consider regularly pulling a big box that was more than 5,000 lbs empty. I hauled my Jeep on trailer (6,200 lbs) 2041 miles over 4 days when moving from NY to NM. A bit after getting to NM, my trans started telling me it wasn't happy. Set up for my usual off-roading, that Jeep and trailer are usually more like 5,500 lbs, which tows fine for the day trips a few times a year I do with it. I hauled that Jeep around for 10 years before the big trip without issue, and the 6 years since (with the new trans).

Last edited by JeeperDon; 02-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer length vs Durango vehicle width