1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stalling out only when I make a right turn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 PM
HotelCarolina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling out only when I make a right turn?

So I have a '95 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9l. I've got a problem where every time I make a right hand turn, my truck just stalls out and dies. I was on my way to work today when I was making a right hand turn onto a main road and next thing I know my engine is spitting and sputtering, then my engine cuts off and I'm cruising with no power steering. I get on the side of the road and it starts right back up. I kept playing with it and every time I made a right hand turn, it would start to surge and sounded like it was starving for gas then just stall out. I can turn left with no problems whatsoever though. Anyone else have this problem and what should I look for? Thanks

Old 02-24-2017, 05:57 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard issues like this when it's only one way, usually electrical. If it was happening both ways then maybe TPS or IAC or power steering pump in a bind. I would idle truck and start pulling on wire bundles to see if you can make it stumble. When the truck is flexing one way it might be moving a wire that's rubbed and it's shorting out. Could be a loose ground also. Do you notice any other symptoms like fuel light blips or check engine light?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a ground wire

Old 03-03-2017, 05:26 PM
BLUEBEE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAD 86 5th AVE DID SAME THING. IT WAS A WIRE THAT HAD RUBBED BARE. VERY TINY RUB, BUT IT WAS ON EDGE OF VAVLE COVER. ONCE THE WIRE WAS TAPED UP NO PROBLEM.