2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My T-Case saver install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My T-Case saver install

Now, I don't have any pictures of the install, I just went over the DIY found on the forum, it helped a lot, although the repair is pretty straight foreword.

The worst part for me was removing the old snap ring. I know that 90 percent of these are usually cracked or broke. And my truck, being owned by a farmer before me, and used and abused, but not yet work out, would have guaranteed that that snap ring be broken. And it being a 94, it's just older. But idk.

My drain and fill on my np231hd were the 30mm bolt and not the 10mm hex. They cracked open easy, and I drained the fluid, pretty brown. Hasn't been changed in awhile. I remove the driveshalft and pull it, and then remove the tailshalft housing. And lo and behold, my snap ring looks to be in perfect condition. And me, not ever have the correct tools, can't get it damn snap ring to come off. With a little cussing and kicking, I get one side up, and bend the snap ring with screw drivers till it will slip over the shaft. That part took a good hour.

After that it's a breeze. Torque the shalft collar to 180in lbs, which converts to 15ft lbs, and goop the tail shaft housing with rtv ultra black, and reinstall. Put the driveshaft on and wait another half hour to let the rtv set up. Refill with some walmart special Atf+4 and then take her for a drive. Everything works fantastic.

This sounds like a fun and smooth job. IT WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST job I have ever had to do. Past week has been like 70 degree weather here in Nebraska, but my dumb head thought, "Hey why not install the t-case saver when it just snowed 5 inches". There was water EVERYWHERE. IT WAS POOLING, EVERYWHERE. My hands were never dry once during this job. I resorted to wearing a trash bag to keep my main torso dry. Someone please in the future, remind me to NEVER EVER DO ANY WORK UNDER THAT TRUCK if it had just snowed 4 inches.

Here are some pictures:
My T-Case saver install-img_3689.jpg
My T-Case saver install-image.jpg

Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Suhr
Now, I don't have any pictures of the install, I just went over the DIY found on the forum, it helped a lot, although the repair is pretty straight foreword.

The worst part for me was removing the old snap ring. I know that 90 percent of these are usually cracked or broke. And my truck, being owned by a farmer before me, and used and abused, but not yet work out, would have guaranteed that that snap ring be broken. And it being a 94, it's just older. But idk.

My drain and fill on my np231hd were the 30mm bolt and not the 10mm hex. They cracked open easy, and I drained the fluid, pretty brown. Hasn't been changed in awhile. I remove the driveshalft and pull it, and then remove the tailshalft housing. And lo and behold, my snap ring looks to be in perfect condition. And me, not ever have the correct tools, can't get it damn snap ring to come off. With a little cussing and kicking, I get one side up, and bend the snap ring with screw drivers till it will slip over the shaft. That part took a good hour.

After that it's a breeze. Torque the shalft collar to 180in lbs, which converts to 15ft lbs, and goop the tail shaft housing with rtv ultra black, and reinstall. Put the driveshaft on and wait another half hour to let the rtv set up. Refill with some walmart special Atf+4 and then take her for a drive. Everything works fantastic.

This sounds like a fun and smooth job. IT WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST job I have ever had to do. Past week has been like 70 degree weather here in Nebraska, but my dumb head thought, "Hey why not install the t-case saver when it just snowed 5 inches". There was water EVERYWHERE. IT WAS POOLING, EVERYWHERE. My hands were never dry once during this job. I resorted to wearing a trash bag to keep my main torso dry. Someone please in the future, remind me to NEVER EVER DO ANY WORK UNDER THAT TRUCK if it had just snowed 4 inches.

Here are some pictures:
Attachment 28184
Attachment 28185
LOLOL. Sorry man. All to familiar with that exercise...... The trash bag doesn't work nearly as well as I would like..... Fortunately, I have a garage to work in.... but, I tend to put all sorts of nasty stuff on it, that I then get to crawl around in...... One would think I would learn.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

So the limit is 4 inches then? I'll let you keep working in 3 if that's alright.

I hear ya working outside. Me and my truck have had to do all work outside except twice when I borrowed a friends garage. I hope to look for a small house this year and all I care is that it has a double garage. The house doesn't mean beans to me, just the garage.

Anyway, I believe the T-case Saver is like the Plenum gasket--more lore than truth. Back in the day, around 04-08 when these were still all over the roads, the forums were just full of plenum posts. Yes, many failed, but not all. My truck had all the "symptoms" so I spent good money to have it done with a Hughes kit. It was still perfect. The oil use and pinging was just characteristic of my engine. Still is. I've looked into T-case saver but I've learned over the years to really only replace things when they are truly shot. Otherwise, I'll end up putting a 4th gen body on my frame because my seat has a tear.

I have to remember that the internet/forums are like truck WebMD. Its easy to self-diagnose every problem in the books based on our fear and imagination.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Anyway, I believe the T-case Saver is like the Plenum gasket--more lore than truth.

Splattered transfer cases come up every now and then here in the forum. That one's from a few years ago -- photo is hyperlinked to the thread.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That one's from a few years ago.
My point exactly.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't hurt might help? I put one in my truck a few years ago for that very reason.