3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lower radiator support rust issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM
sparks1032
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower radiator support rust issue

Passenger side
Driver side

I was changing the oil when I bump the lower air dam and noticed the radiator support rusted out took everything apart and this is what I found. I was hoping for a few recommendations slash suggestions I've been told everything is non-weight bearing so the paint it and throw it back together again and consider it done. It's my daily driver and although in good condition isn't worth much being in the rust belt.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Common problem. Most people cut out the bad and weld in new.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:49 PM
sparks1032
Rookie

Not sure it will be worth it since the front body mounts are also rusted I wonder what everyone else has done?

Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

As I said, weld in new metal or replace the supports.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:29 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Just did mine this past August. Mine was way worse. There was nothing left to bolt the lower support to. Had to replace those fender frames also (I think they are called radiator closures, about $200 each). Had to remove hood, inner and outer fenders, wiper cowl and disconnect everything attached to those frames, most of which can be tied back (to motor) out of the way. Coolant/washer reservoir was a bit tricky. I just sawzalled the body mount bolts and replaced them. The nightmare was up at the firewall where frames were attached by about 2 dozen spot welds on each side. Use a spot weld cutter (Harbor Freight approx $6, get the 2 pack). Looks like a mini hole saw for door ****/lock installation. Dimple the center of weld w/punch and have at it. Spread the outer frame enclosure outwards (you'll see what I mean) and slide frame out forward. Try not to bend inner part of enclosure or your hood hinges will be out of whack (trust me, lol). Slide the frames in and reassemble front supports and mounts first. Now the nightmare. Not so much if you have a welder to re-tack those spot welds. I had to do a lot of drilling so I could bolt all that crap back together. Took my buddy and me a day and a half (outside), but I figure I'm good for another 11 years. Radiator was seeping, probably from banging around from no support. So I used the opportunity to replace radiator, water pump, belt tensioner, and front oil seal while nothing was in the way. Hope this helps any decisions that anyone might need to make.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM
sparks1032
Rookie
Default Finally finished

I wanted to respond and let everyone know what I did at least have some idea of what it took. I'm heading to post this reply from my phone so bear with me. Overall it was a pretty simple job for the guy that welded it however the issue is most of the metal was 12 gauge. Local welding shop only had 1/8 inch is the thinnest material I could easily get. If somebody was looking to do this job or head I've been able to locate a prior post that indicated that most of the metal was 12 gauge I might have been able to stop and sheet metal shop or something to get what I needed. So in short the picture show where I welding in the 8 inch material and use the stock radiator support again just to try and make it look as possible. Driver side
Passenger side
Full frontal
2 coats rattle can rustoleum primer 3 black then 2 coats undercoating

Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That'll hold 'er!

Old 04-02-2017, 01:56 AM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Looks like a pretty good job, Sparks. Won't see it when the shell is back on.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Mike Lenox
Default Spot welds on radiator closures.

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Looks like a pretty good job, Sparks. Won't see it when the shell is back on.
Hey Deer Hunter, You notated that you bolted your closures in apposed to welding. I'm just finishing up and was wondering if there were any issues ir concerns to bolting? I was thinking about doing the same with bolts, similar to those used on the fenders. Although, I do have a welder, I just think that bolting will make me more confident? Your thoughts? Thanks, Mike

Old 10-04-2018, 09:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Mike Lenox
Hey Deer Hunter, You notated that you bolted your closures in apposed to welding. I'm just finishing up and was wondering if there were any issues ir concerns to bolting? I was thinking about doing the same with bolts, similar to those used on the fenders. Although, I do have a welder, I just think that bolting will make me more confident? Your thoughts? Thanks, Mike
He has not posted on this site in over a year.