1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 AM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaf springs

Has any of you ever ordered a pair of leaf springs for a dakota and if so where from mine are shot and sag bad.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Lots of online places.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 AM
dakota1996
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Lots of online places.
Which online place did you get yours? I have a 4wd regular cab. I saw that different websites have them but wasn't sure which of these places is best quality to get them from. And if I ordered some for a v8 are they a bit stronger?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, the V8/V6 isn't the big deal; the GVWR is. A higher GVWR would be stiffer. (It may also screw up the weight dependent proportioning valve; how badly that worries you is up to you. Wouldn't worry me that much, I don't plan to be driving where I'd have to worry about the rear end locking up.)

As to "Where", I cheat; we have a spring shop that's been in business in my town since the 1940's (!!!) so I'd just go there and have them rearch / rebuild / replace. (For more money they can even use teflon between the leafs, making a much smoother riding rear spring over the stock rubber. But do notice the 'more money' part ... it ain't cheap!)

HOWEVER - RockAuto does list Dayton springs as I type this at $165 approx. Don't know if that's a single or a pair, though.

There are other sources, but that's a good first cut.

RwP

Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 PM
dakota1996
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
Well, the V8/V6 isn't the big deal; the GVWR is. A higher GVWR would be stiffer. (It may also screw up the weight dependent proportioning valve; how badly that worries you is up to you. Wouldn't worry me that much, I don't plan to be driving where I'd have to worry about the rear end locking up.)

As to "Where", I cheat; we have a spring shop that's been in business in my town since the 1940's (!!!) so I'd just go there and have them rearch / rebuild / replace. (For more money they can even use teflon between the leafs, making a much smoother riding rear spring over the stock rubber. But do notice the 'more money' part ... it ain't cheap!)

HOWEVER - RockAuto does list Dayton springs as I type this at $165 approx. Don't know if that's a single or a pair, though.

There are other sources, but that's a good first cut.

RwP
What is the weight dependent proportioning valve?? I have not heard of that. The springs I saw were like 150 a piece from general springs website and had Payload of 2550 I believe does this sound factory payload for this truck? These springs just sag easy with weight is the reason I was thinking bout stiffer springs but that may just be bc they have been loaded down to heavy to many times before I got the truck.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
RalphP
Champion

Heh.

You really need to pick up the factory service manual.

But.

There's a proportioning valve connected to one of the rear springs; when there's more weight, it allows more brake fluid pressure through the lines to the rear brakes, to keep it from locking up when empty vis not braking at all when fully loaded.

As to the weight; check the door sticker for your GVWR and see how that compares to the spring weight.

Another suggestion: While replacing, install new bushings in the rear shackles. I'm fond of the Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings myself, to help firm up the rear end; but it's your truck, your choice as to rubber, poly, or possibly finding delrin or solid bushings.

RwP

Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
dakota1996
Professional

Heh.

You really need to pick up the factory service manual.

But.

There's a proportioning valve connected to one of the rear springs; when there's more weight, it allows more brake fluid pressure through the lines to the rear brakes, to keep it from locking up when empty vis not braking at all when fully loaded.

As to the weight; check the door sticker for your GVWR and see how that compares to the spring weight.

Another suggestion: While replacing, install new bushings in the rear shackles. I'm fond of the Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings myself, to help firm up the rear end; but it's your truck, your choice as to rubber, poly, or possibly finding delrin or solid bushings.

RwP
Okay I checked the GVWR in the door and it says 2382. The springs I looked at say payload of 2550. Is this to big of a difference you think? Also as far as the proportioning valve is concerned I looked over every inch of both leafs and I don't see this valve at all anywhere. And no lines or anything running to it. So either I have went completely blind or it is non existent and I also already have the service manual. And I had planned on using energy suspension honestly alot of people seem to like them. I was gonna use them for my upper control arms as well but I read people saying that they aren't the right size

Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
RalphP
Champion

That should be close enough.

On my 1988, it's on the frame, but with a "hook" to the front of the driver's side rear leaf spring.

Your truck might not have one; if so, then it's a concern you don't have that I do *grins*

Here's a couple of pics of my valve, complete with the link to the front of the driver's side rear leaf.

RwP

Attached Thumbnails Leaf springs-1988_dakota_weight_sensitive_proportioning_valve_1.jpg   Leaf springs-1988_dakota_weight_sensitive_proportioning_valve_2.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM
dakota1996
Professional

That should be close enough.

On my 1988, it's on the frame, but with a "hook" to the front of the driver's side rear leaf spring.

Your truck might not have one; if so, then it's a concern you don't have that I do *grins*

Here's a couple of pics of my valve, complete with the link to the front of the driver's side rear leaf.

RwP
Yeah there is nothing that resembles that on my truck at all lol

Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM
RalphP
Champion

Then again, my concern is not your concern *grins*

So forget that item.

With that concern not there, then you should not have any problem.

Be sure to get new U-bolts also; and this is a perfect time to replace the old tired rear shocks.

May I suggest a firm set, maybe Ranchos?

(I've got some KYB GR2's to go on my truck; then again, I don't squat the rear of mine much.)

RwP