1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Newb questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
cloud2or3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb questions...

Hey fellas, I'm new here!

I have always liked the Dodge Durango First Gen and am now thinking of getting one. I've been doing a little diggin, but sometimes some solid info is hard to find. So I've got a few basic questions for the experts.

Generally, here's what I usually am after in a SUV:

Leather
Sunroof
Automatic Transmission
4x4
4 Wheel disc brakes
Running boards/step

I am leaning in the direction of a 2002/2003 model.

So, my basic questions:

What trim lines would have had those features either as stock or optional features?
What engines were stock / optional with those trim lines?
Which engines are the most reliable? and their availability to which trim lines?
Which transmissions are the most reliable? and there availability to which trim lines?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you want 4 wheel disc brakes you will be looking for a 2003, they were not available before that.

Leather was an SLT or SLT + option IIRC
sunroof, unsure i dont think iv ever seen a first gen with a factory sunroof, not a common option by any means.
auto trans, dictated by the engine, only one trans option for each engine option no mix and match, the best is the 545rfe that was mated to the 4.7l v8
4x4 is an option on all trim lines
running boards were an option on most trim lines, most often seen on slt and slt+ IME

all the engines in these trucks were reliable, the 5.9l was the most powerful and the 4.7 was the most efficient, but all v8s made more than adequate power to move the vehicle. Most common engine was the 4.7l. If you go with a 2002 check the PCM and count connectors, you want one with a 4 connector PCM as this was mated to the 5 speed transmission while the 3 plug connector left you with only 4 speeds.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Originally Posted by cloud2or3
Hey fellas, I'm new here!

I have always liked the Dodge Durango First Gen and am now thinking of getting one. I've been doing a little diggin, but sometimes some solid info is hard to find. So I've got a few basic questions for the experts.

Generally, here's what I usually am after in a SUV:

Leather
Sunroof
Automatic Transmission
4x4
4 Wheel disc brakes
Running boards/step

I am leaning in the direction of a 2002/2003 model.

So, my basic questions:

What trim lines would have had those features either as stock or optional features?
What engines were stock / optional with those trim lines?
Which engines are the most reliable? and their availability to which trim lines?
Which transmissions are the most reliable? and there availability to which trim lines?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like I have what you want..... except for the leather. I would like that too.

My sunroof was installed aftermarket (before I bought it used). Only issue is the dealing with the headliner in that area....it sags behind the driver's head (where it is "hemmed" under.

I have tried a few different adhesives to hold it up, but between the inner cab heat in the summer, and the tension on the fabric, it seems to come unglued.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 PM
cloud2or3

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
if you want 4 wheel disc brakes you will be looking for a 2003, they were not available before that.

Leather was an SLT or SLT + option IIRC
sunroof, unsure i dont think iv ever seen a first gen with a factory sunroof, not a common option by any means.
auto trans, dictated by the engine, only one trans option for each engine option no mix and match, the best is the 545rfe that was mated to the 4.7l v8
4x4 is an option on all trim lines
running boards were an option on most trim lines, most often seen on slt and slt+ IME

all the engines in these trucks were reliable, the 5.9l was the most powerful and the 4.7 was the most efficient, but all v8s made more than adequate power to move the vehicle. Most common engine was the 4.7l. If you go with a 2002 check the PCM and count connectors, you want one with a 4 connector PCM as this was mated to the 5 speed transmission while the 3 plug connector left you with only 4 speeds.
Thanks! very helpful!

Looks like I will stick with the 2003 if thats where the Disc Brakes are.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:54 PM
cloud2or3

Originally Posted by gvsu4msu
Sounds like I have what you want..... except for the leather. I would like that too.

My sunroof was installed aftermarket (before I bought it used). Only issue is the dealing with the headliner in that area....it sags behind the driver's head (where it is "hemmed" under.

I have tried a few different adhesives to hold it up, but between the inner cab heat in the summer, and the tension on the fabric, it seems to come unglued.
Thanks!

Leather is must for me. Looks like I'm seeing that the Sunroof was only an aftermarket item at the time/now. So may have to settle without that.

Out of curiosity... who supplies them?

Cheers!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:49 PM
cloud2or3

Perhaps someone can shed light on this...

I came across this site/page...

https://www.cars.com/research/compar...,USB30DDS011D0

Is there a version of the 2003 R/T 5.9L engine that requires premium over regular gas?
How do you tell which one you have in front of you?
What is the reason for them listing a 5hp difference on the 4.7L (230/235) and 5.9L (245/250)

Thanks again!

Last edited by cloud2or3; 03-24-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:37 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Thanks!

Leather is must for me. Looks like I'm seeing that the Sunroof was only an aftermarket item at the time/now. So may have to settle without that.

Out of curiosity... who supplies them?

Cheers!
Don't know as we bought the Durango used a few years back.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like I will stick with the 2003 if thats where the Disc Brakes are.
Though disc brakes are generally better, I know my drums are fine and invisible in operation, when towing or not. There are too many other considerations in vehicles that age to lock your sights in on one year.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Perhaps someone can shed light on this...

I came across this site/page...

https://www.cars.com/research/compar...,USB30DDS011D0

Is there a version of the 2003 R/T 5.9L engine that requires premium over regular gas?
How do you tell which one you have in front of you?
What is the reason for them listing a 5hp difference on the 4.7L (230/235) and 5.9L (245/250)

Thanks again!
the 4.7 was just improvements year to year (sometimes midyear) that bumped the power ever so slightly, the 5.9 was a different computer tune that would give you the extra power, either way 5hp is not something you would notice driving the truck. afaik all the R/Ts will run fine on regular, if you have one and arent having any problems stick with the cheap stuff.