2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pull one bacon, drop one hash brown

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 PM
cheesrasinplate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pull one bacon, drop one hash brown

Mark order scrambled cheese raisin plate, scattered, covered, chunked
And that is how you order at Waffle House.

I'm new and wanted to introduce myself. Boom.

I drive a 2nd Gen 98 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab long bed 4x4 that I'm looking to make into a project.
Hello.

If anybody on the east coast has a 2nd Gen long bed camper shell that they want to sell hit me up, I can't get to the market place forum yet. I drive the two tone fire engine red with grey bottom paint. I know a paint match is far fetched but I thought I would throw it out there.

Also, I'm looking to see if anybody thinks restoring a 2nd Gen 1500 is worth it, or if they've done it. I just love my truck, and want to keep her.

Also interested in death wobble fixes.

Last edited by cheesrasinplate; 03-28-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: paint discussion
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Is it worth it? Only you can really decide that. How much money are you willing to put into it, knowing it is highly likely, you will never get it back, should you decide to sell it. If you plan to drive it till the wheels fall off, bolt 'em back on, and drive it some more, then the investment doesn't really matter, till you start approaching the cost of a new one. And yes, there are people out there that have invested WAY north of 30K on the their second gen. Of course, they are REALLY nice trucks when they are done.

Death wobble: Inspect ALL of the steering, starting at the column, all the way out to the tires. And most certainly do not forget the track bar. The ball joint end (drivers side, bolts to frame) is generally the culprit. If you need to replace it, and want to go for an upgrade, rather than just a replacement, take a look at the various companies that off the third gen style track bar upgrade. It has bushings on both ends, so, replace it once, and never worry about it again.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm slowly and mildly resto-modding my '98 and consider it absolutely worth it. It's possible to get one of these old trucks up to wonderful for half the price of a new truck so it's hard for a guy over the age of forty to go wrong at it. Under forty, you're probably better off just selling it for scrap value now.

Death wobble: Anything at all that causes slop or wander, from the column to the ground, can also cause death wobble. A common problem is excessive wear of the bushing in the tail of the steering column, and for that the Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix is the way to go. It's worth doing that upgrade even if the bushing isn't worn out yet because it one day will be. But, really, anything from the steering column to the ground could be at fault -- anything, that is, except the steering stabilizer. If replacing that ends your death wobble, it's a temporary fix.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 AM
cheesrasinplate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm turning 40 this month, I guess thats why I'm wondering. I'll ponder this for a couple weeks until I actually turn 40, then I'm pretty much locked in huh?

Thanks for the response guys.

Hey you, if I replace the track bar parts will I have to replace them again if I do a suspension lift?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

If you do the third-gen track bar upgrade, and then add a lift later, you will likely have to replace the track bar, but, the bracket will stay. How much lift are you considering?