2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine suddently not running good

Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine suddently not running good

Hello,

Tonight driving to a friend, i've suddently started having troubles... My problem is that my engine isn't responding well.. I've had the same problem a while ago and it appeared the positive batt cable was loose.. tightend it & runned well.. Also putted in some new sparkplugs!

Both of the times the problem appeared while driving on LPG.. I do experience some less performance of my gasinstal & need to take it to the shop.. BUT my problem is also while driving on gasoline...

When pushing the pedal, the car response, it drives , but doesn't get to an high RPM.. it misfires , and drives stutter.. when giving full gas , is goes up to 3000RPM+ and drives well.. slowing down , same problem.. ( doesn't go away.. car is undriveable on the road.. unless fullgass cops don't like )..

Also i hear the engine making a sissy noisy, sucking air & in Idle it stutters in RPM... Does it for a min & it's gone....

I've checked some cables, sparkwires , all looked good ( was dark... Lighting with mobilephone ).
i'll look tomorrow in daylight , if i see something..

Anyone suggestions what it can be? Or what i can check out?

Thanks for reading!
Greetings, me

Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For starters is the check engine light on? If so, there is a code to check. Battery cables also need to be clean not just tight.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

What are you driving? Year, model, engine, etc.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Sorry folks, completely forgot about the car details !
it's a 2001 Dodge ram 1500 ( 2nd gen ) has a 5.2L in it ( LA318 )

My engine codes are there following
P0132, P0301, P0442 , P0455

​​​​​first drive this morning was good , till after 10mins on the road.. it started doing it again.. when they airsucking is done it's somehow driving good again for now..

Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

P0132 1/1 O2S Shorted To Voltage

P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire

P0442 Evap Leak Monitor Medium Leak Detected

P0455 Evap Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected

Are the O2 sensors original? Might want to start by replacing the front O2 sensor.

Whens the last time the truck had plugs/wires/cap/rotor changed?

Check all the hoses for the evap system. Also, make sure your gas cap seals tight, and it is actually there....

Old 03-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

The evap problem is one i've had for a long time, last time i've checked all hoses where good, Will check them this weekend...

The plugs been done 2weeks ago..
Rotor and other stuff no idea.. i'll look to order them & replace... Got the car for 80000miles and haven't changed it myself/garage...

O2 sensor same..

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the wiring on your O2 sensor also. May have gotten too close to the exhaust and melted/shorted.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

O2 sensor looks good... Looked like the tranny was leaking a small bit of oil .. Else everything was looking good..
hmmm my LPG computer won't seem to work now.. keeps turning of ( not the engine.. lpg system ).

I'll head to the shop tomorrow & look if they can fix me the rotor & wires and O2 sensors..

Also.. i got a 97 Dodge ram 2500 5.9l

Would that rotor fit? And the sparkwires? I know they where new when i bought it.. BUT i don't drive the car.. just stands here , waiting project .. let's say the rotor was 2years ago placed in new , but barely drove the car..

Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

So today we have figured out some of my problems.. when moving/touching or ticking against the TPS it starts sucking extremely air through the idle port..
Could this also be causing the misfires and or bad stuttery driving?
My guess is a bad TPS sensor? My throttlebody doens't look clean also.. maybe the TPS could be dirty?

I have a 97dodge ram 2500, 5.9l Will the TPS fit on my 2001 5.2l?

The rotor, Cap, cables , O2 sensors are ordered.. Will have them by tuesday..

Thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The TPS is pretty cheap, I would just buy a new one, and that way, you are SURE to have the correct part.

Failing TPS can give you all sorts of strange behavior, so, its certainly worth a shot. I have had zero success cleaning them. Generally, they simply wear out, and develop a dead spot.

Search this Thread