1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP!!! Coolant By Pass Hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 01:18 AM
bursty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Coolant By Pass Hose

I removed the water pump to fix a leak and am now in the process of putting it back on, but the coolant bypass hose that flows into the top of the pump is rotted and needs to be replaced. However, due to the AC compressor and just an overall lack of room, its taking forever to remove that bypass hose. Does anyone have ANY hints, suggestions, tips, How-To articles on this, or ANY info at all? i really need to get that hose off and replaced ASAP

BTW 98 Durango 5.9L V8

Old 04-17-2004, 09:37 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!!! Coolant By Pass Hose

super easy. remove the 4 bolts around the perimeter of the a/c compressor and the one that goes to the intake through the bracket connecting the a/c. now lift the a/c up with hoses connected and lay it over by the right side fender. remove the idler pulley, remover the 5 bolts holding the front accesory bracket to the engine and the one holding the oil dipstick to the bracket. Now lfit the whole front drive with alt attached out of the way.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 AM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '97, which I have owned for coming up on 4 years now, has poor heat issues. I plan to do a chemical flush using the.Prestone brand flush/cleaner.
Well anyhow, to get to the point! I figure after I get done with the flush proceedure, it would be an excellent time to change ALL the hoses with Gates hoses, before I add the correct blend of antifreeze. As I said earlier, I've owned the truck 4 years and have never replaced hoses.
Good tip Dodgemech! Looking at that bypass hose, I didn't see any other way to get to it without removing the components you mentioned

Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmikesmech
My '97, which I have owned for coming up on 4 years now, has poor heat issues. I plan to do a chemical flush using the.Prestone brand flush/cleaner.
Well anyhow, to get to the point! I figure after I get done with the flush proceedure, it would be an excellent time to change ALL the hoses with Gates hoses, before I add the correct blend of antifreeze. As I said earlier, I've owned the truck 4 years and have never replaced hoses.
Good tip Dodgemech! Looking at that bypass hose, I didn't see any other way to get to it without removing the components you mentioned
Also note, one of the bolts is underneath the AC line. Makes it a paint to get the compressor off. The hole that mine threaded into was stripped out anyway so I didn't put the bolt back in when I put my compressor on so anytime I need to get to the water pump or bypass hose or anything down there it is much easier not having to deal with that one bolt.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Coolant By Pass Hose