Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

How many keys do you get with a new car purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM
lorrayne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many keys do you get with a new car purchase?

My guy purchased a brand new Dart last year and only received one key to his car, although the salesman promised him the second key a week later. However, after months of haggling, the dealership refused to give him his second key.

I just recently purchased a brand new Journey, and given his dealings, I made sure to get my two keys up front. During my purchase process, I brought up what had happened to my guy just a few months before (this was the same exact dealership), and twice I was asked if he had bought a brand new car. After I confirmed that he had, twice was I immediately told "oh, he should have gotten two keys then". The salesman and the finance guy were supposed to follow-up on this, but of course they did not.

Given their reaction to the ordeal, is there something in the company policy that states that a brand new car is supposed to come with two programmed keys regardless of a salesman's blunder? Being forced to pay $200 for a key that was supposed to come with a brand new purchase is an extremely hefty fine to pay for a dealership's error. It's also a bit unnerving that there is a second key floating out there somewhere which would allow some random stranger to break into and/or steal his car.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 PM
gentz
Professional

The Dart comes with 2 keys brand new. If they are that hesitant contact dodge directly.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM
lorrayne

Thanks. Do you know if there's something actually in writing by the company stating this?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Both keys come sealed side by side in a bag... one is broken out to use in the car, the other is on the combination/turn signal switch.

There is also a plastic zip bag in the glove box, that the lock/switch itself came in.
This bag is marked "keep in vehicle for customer use".
The numbers on the bag are used by the dealer to program further keys if needed.

Last edited by Spillage; 04-02-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: How many keys do you get with a new car purchase?