2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM
NYsteve
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 vibration

hey guys new to the forum, hope you can help me out.

I've got a 97 5.2L, 138k mi, with a vibration under acceleration anywhere from 50-70mph around 1600 RPM. About 8 months ago I installed a transmission with 90k miles on it. everything has been fine for the past 8 months, but the vibration started about a week ago. I cant really pinpoint where its coming from, but it seems very central. I'm going to try and check the u-joints in the next few days, but i wanted to ask you guys if you have had any similar experiences or recommendations.

btw i dont recommend changing the tranny in these trucks. what a job that was.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Saineperf

Possible converter vibration. Is there any vibration at idle? Revving in Neutral?

Is your truck a 4 x 4?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

sure its not like snow froze in a wheel? im guessing the NY in your user name means new york? so i bet you got alot of snow about a week ago, around the same time your problem started. just a thought.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
NYsteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by Saineperf
Possible converter vibration. Is there any vibration at idle? Revving in Neutral?

Is your truck a 4 x 4?
yea its a 4x4, but no revving in neutral, and no vibration at idle. the vibration goes away as soon as i let off the gas at 50-65 MPH. I haven't tried to engage the 4x4 to see if it still vibrates.

Originally Posted by tamcnally
sure its not like snow froze in a wheel? im guessing the NY in your user name means new york? so i bet you got alot of snow about a week ago, around the same time your problem started. just a thought.
Youre right about NY,but where i am we didnt get much snow. I went to the car wash the other day when it was about 35 degrees out so i think it wouldve melted there. it also doesnt seem like it coming from a wheel, it's a very central vibration.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Berto612

It deffinately sounds like one of your U-joints is going bad. I just had to replace one in mine and it was doing exactly what you mentioned. The U-joints don't cost much, about $10 for the cheap one and $20 for the higher quality one. You gotta have, or know some one with, the right tools.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is what the factory service manual we have in the Stickies says.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
NYsteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by Berto612
It deffinately sounds like one of your U-joints is going bad. I just had to replace one in mine and it was doing exactly what you mentioned. The U-joints don't cost much, about $10 for the cheap one and $20 for the higher quality one. You gotta have, or know some one with, the right tools.
Gonna replace them tomorrow. My dad is a mechanic, so it should be no sweat especially after swapping out the whole tranny.

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Here is what the factory service manual we have in the Stickies says.
That is great information, thanks! I tried to download that file a few days ago before i posted, but i kept getting errors.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
NYsteve
Rookie

Update:

Checked the U-joints today. They were fine. Dropped the drive shaft and believe I have a bad pinion bearing because the yoke was very loose in the differential. I tightened the nut up, but i still get the vibration. I've been told its possible the whole rear end is bad.

At this point I'm thinking of selling the truck. I've been putting a lot of money into it lately, and think it would be better to upgrade. I'm definitely getting another dakota though, just something newer.

Quick Reply: 97 vibration