1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

tps

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:15 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tps

ok i am most likly going to get a new tps what do i need to do after it is installed i think i read somehwre that u need to do something but im not sure what or evven if i read that but 4 some reason i think it was about the tps thanx

Old 05-13-2007, 01:29 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tps

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is located on your throttle body. The throttle body is in between your air intake and your intake manifold. For the I4 models, the TPS will be on the back side of your throttle body, and if you have the V6 it'll be on the front side. This mod will improve your car's response time and improve launch, but it will not add any horsepower or torque.

*Please read all of the instructions before starting so that you know you are capable of doing everything. Continue at your own risk*

Items Needed:
- digital voltmeter
- needle nose pliers
- t-20 torx socket or screwdriver
- a vice to hold the tps while drilling
- 1/4" drill bit
- drill

Steps
1) Turn the ignition ON, but DO NOT start the car.
2) There are three wires leading into the TPS, put the positive lead from the voltmeter to the middle wire.
3) Put the ground lead from the voltmeter to a good solid ground.
4) Check what voltage the voltmeter reads, if it is not reading anything or is fluctuating you may need to play with the contacts of the leads a little by moving them around. You should get a reading anywhere from .35-1.03 volts while idling. After you get a good reading, move on to the next step.
5) Keep the leads from the voltmeter where they are and position the voltmeter itself in a position where you can see it from the drivers seat.
6) After step 5 keep your eye on the voltmeter and slowly ease on the gas pedal (if you have a stick shift put in first gear and ease on the gas), the voltage should go up and end up anywhere from 3.1-4.0 volts, but it will not exceed 4.5 volts.
7) Record your voltage readings, and then proceed to next step.
8) There is an electrical connector that is connected to the TPS. Unclip this connector (it should have three wires going into it).
9) Using the t-20 torx socket or screwdriver remove the two screws that are holding the TPS to the throttle body.
10) Remove the TPS.
11) Put the TPS in the vise so that you have easy access to the holes where the screws were.
12) Hold the metal mounting cylinder with the needle nose pliers to prevent it from spinning.
13) Carefully drill out both of the mounting holes with the 1/4" drill.
14) Put the TPS back on the throttle body and reconnect the electrical connector.
15) As stated in the directions above, take voltage readings at both closed throttle and wide open throttle your voltage for closed throttle should now be between .75 and .85, and for wide open throttle it should be between 3.5 and 4.1. If your voltage meets these ranges, then congratulations...you're done!

*If you're voltage readings are too high*
All you have to do to fix this is loosen the two mounting screws very slightly, and at the same time keep your eyes on the voltmeter. Keep loosening the two screws slightly, then jiggle the TPS gently until your voltage comes back down. Once your voltage is in the correct range, you are all done!

This is the tps mod you can do the install and do this to get the most out of the new tps or just use the initial voltage setting as install guidlines

Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I did this and I didn't notice much of anything with my stock V6. I'm not saying it was a waste of time, but that I didn't notice as much as I thought I did initially....it was all in my head, lol.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:45 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran

ok but i dont have to do nething but install if i dont want to do the mod which right now i just wanna put a new one it to see if my car stops idleing funky also i am thinking of cleaning the throttle body how do i take it off and what is a good cleaner to use

Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
robertwyoung
Rookie

What are you changing here, just drilling out the mount holes?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can install it JUST use the voltage readings as a check .... Too high a voltage you'll get a CEL Too Low same thing ...

Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It made a signifigant change in mine ... I only had 2.6 volts WOT that wasn't enough to trigger my NOS so readjusting ityhelped