1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tried EVERYTHING!!! Won't Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:18 PM
jlechner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried EVERYTHING!!! Won't Idle

Hey guys, new to this forum, but not to forums in general. Anyways, new owner of a 97 Venge. Got a good deal on it an all, blah blah blah, here comes the fun stuff.

First off, me and my buds who are workin on this thing are all mechanics. So the fact that we can't figure it out is starting to get under our skin.

The car will not idle properly. I roamed through here a few times before registering to just see what common problems were. Tried the CPS stuff. Have a new cap and rotor, plugs. Tried new TPS, MAP, IAT, none of those helped. Put new injectors on, no change. My buddy had to change the water pump on it, and swears up and down (and even checked numerous times) that he got the timing back on correctly. I believe him.

To start the car, we usually have to gas it a bit. Here's where the problems gets funky. Half the time, it won't idle period. It'll keep bogging down till it finally dies. Other half of the time, it'll idle, but it feels and sounds like crap-o-la. One guy said the perfect description, it sounds like it's cammed. Which it does. I'm starting to wonder if a car with a bit over 100k could get a bad cam. I wouldn't think so, but hell we have tried everything else. We checked fuel flow, and it was good. But just incase our gauge is off or something, we're gonna do fuel pump/filter next just to make sure. I'm about to start spending more on parts than I did for the car. Sucks. Anyways, if you guys have any ideas, I'm a bit new to Avengers so I don't know all the common places these things have trouble at. Any common vacuum leak area's?

Thanks for any help.

Jason

Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
josef15111
Veteran
Default RE: Tried EVERYTHING!!! Won't Idle

have you checked your PCM out? I had a bad idling problem alongwitha cel and batt light i hada bad pcm i had it changed and the car was lie new. MY starting problems where like a od buick or something you had to keep pumping the gas and feathering at slow downs. jus a thoght but a god one LOL. let us know and is this the 2.5 or the 2.0??

Joe

Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 AM
jlechner

it's the 2.5 My friend finally fessed up that he might have gotten the timing wrong. we're gonna check it out soon. lol. hopefully that is the problem. thank you for your reply Joe.

Jason

Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the Idle Air Controller ??? Might just be gummed up ...

Old 10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
jlechner

Yeah so it turns out that all along, it was the entire EGR valve unit thing. I don't know what that other stuff attached to the egr is on these cars, and I haven't looked yet, but that was the prob. Funny thing is, we even checked to see if it was actuating a few weeks ago, and it was. Anyways, car runs great now. Thanks for the advice guys.

Quick Reply: Tried EVERYTHING!!! Won't Idle