1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Strange one

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM
joedago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange one

Ok, Im hoping maybe someone has an idea as to where I should start looking. Today, I put a new alternator on my 2000 2.5L Avenger because I was getting a flicker in all of my lights and yesterday I got a charge light. Also threw some new plugs in while I had the plenum off. After getting it all together, started it up and ran great, no more flicker or charge light. Drove to pick up the wife from work and it ran great. Went to leave again after being home and the car sitting for about 30 min. Now, the idle is very irratic, it putters when I give it some gas and at once point had a blinking CEL light while it was idling. I hear what sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere in the area of the EGR valve. But the hissing noise goes away if I remove the hose coming from the cruise control vacuum box to the plenum. Anyone have any sugestions as to where I should start looking for the problem?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Strange one

sounds like misfiring check the plug wires and a possible vacumn leak from the plenum removal

Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
joedago

Got a friend's code reader today and it showed a P0108 which is MAP sensor voltage too high. Would this cause the symptoms i listed above? Also, in case i have to for diagnostic purposes, would a 96 2.5L and 2000 2.5L Avenger be able to use the same PCM or does it have to be the same year?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
joedago

Nevermind, I think that code was just because I had unplugged the MAP while it was running. Cleared it and showing no codes at all now. Not even misfire. Guess imma try the good ol Seafoam and see if it does any good.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

blinking cel=misfire unsure if the code listed is an old stored code or new ...

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I doubt seafoam will fix a vacumn leak ... I'm betting bad gasket or leaking EGR tube on rear of manifold

Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM
joedago

There is a pipe that comes off the back of the intake plenum and I believe goes down to the exhaust manifold. Not sure what the technical term is for that piece. But I'm wondering if that is supposed to have a gasket on each end of it and if so, would not having gaskets on it cause the problems im having? I've checked with a couple different parts stores and nobody seems to have one or know even what it is.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

thats the EGR tube .... The tube might have split too ...Do you hear the leak from back there ??? I use a can of carb cleaner if you hear the leak spray the suspected area if it quiets or idle change that's the leak ...

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
joedago

K pulled everything off again, Inspected all hoses etc. Tried the spraying around the engine to no avail. There is a bolt that is broken off on the exhaust end of the EGR pipe. SO it is only being held in place on one side but it was like that from prior owner and it never had these problems before. Would that pipe being loose cause any problems? I drove my wife to work today in it and it seems to run fine. Just has this random miss-like problem especially when idling. It seems like the RPM's are fluxing about 200-300 when it happens. This is the same car that I think u replied to me before badvenge about it having a rough idle and it possibly being the idle air controller. I have since ran Seafoam thru the intake and cleaned that all out.

Quick Reply: Strange one