1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotors

'97 dodge avenger ES 2.5. I attempted to remove the rotors on this vehicle after removing the caliper and the braket that the caliper bolts to in order to take them in and have them turned. The Chilton manual says "Pull straight out to remove brake rotor." I pulled and pulled and it never gave. I noticed in the middle of the hub there was a cone shaped impression which made me think that these require a puller. So I used my 6 inch puller and it still didnt give. Upon closer inspection it looks as though there are two holes on the inner part of the rotor with threads in it and that there is a bolt in the hole that has been bolted from the other side. So I looked on the inner side of the rotor to find an access hole that I could align said bolt and remove it. But I didnt see one.

I thought perhaps these were aftermarket rotors so I went to the parts store and asked to see one of these rotors, and sure enough the new rotor had these same holes.

Does ANYONE know how I could remove these rotors? THANKS!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Goblin

Those two threaded holes you mentioned are how I take off the rotors on my wifes car. The back side of those holes should back up to your wheel hub. Use two M8-1.25 X 30 MM bolts and screw them in those holes and just start tightening them down, they will back the rotor off. I keep a set of those bolts in my tool box just for changeing those rotors. The first set I changed where stuck on there so bad the rotor started cracking in half when I was using the jacking bolt holes. You should be able to get those bolts at your local NAPA or Lowes.

Last edited by Goblin; 10-20-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be very careful as the threads strip out very very easy if they are really stuck on ...
try to spray on penetrating oil from behind to help loosen up the rust ect ....
Also heating them with a torch can help as well ...
be sure to apply a light coat of never seize on the rear to make the next removal easier

Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Goblin

and use anti sieze on the jacking bolts to help prevent stripping out the holes

Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

thanks fellas. i will definitely know what i am doing next time.

so i just start a bolt in each of those holes after greasing everything up really well and it will eventually work itself off?

i dont know if i am more angry at myself for not thinking of that or dodge for making something thats supposed to be as easy as taking rotors off and making a real mess of it.

Last edited by DukeSupes; 10-21-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: update my response
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 PM
BackToBlack

rotors get rusted on and they become hard to get off.... there are a few different way to get them off, you can A use the bolts the pull the rotor away, B my personal favorite use a hammer and shock the rotor loose, hitting around where the rims seat against it...

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors