1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Forced induction v-6?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced induction v-6?????

Just goofing off on lunch break righ now. And got to thinking ( Scarry, I know) Has anyone Turbo'd or Supercharged a 2.5L V-6 Avenger or Sebring before? I wonder what the HP output of that engine would be?
I know a 4G20 swap is possible, and probabally easyer too at that.

Also, what is the deal with the electric superchargers on the internet for $100 ish????? Are they a joke or what? Without a pulse width module connected to the throttle body, I can not see how that could work. Also, I had tried to build one of these myself some years ago. Never got up to even 1 lb of boost. It, more or less, gave the same results as a ram-air hood would. The extra strain on the alternator accually DECREASED the fuel milage! ( AS did all the many HHO generators I made. But that can be read about in a different forum.)

Just "thinking out loud".

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have used a Ripp mods supercharger for the 3.0 mitsu ...
There was one company that did a turbo (Exile Racing Technologies) but they ripped several people off and never recovered went out of buisness
Disturbing motorsports is a few months out from a turbo V6

The Electric supercharger for $100 are a joke they are a marine bilge pump wont flow near enough CFM ... The only electric supercharger that works is from knight turbo systems and it requires THREE batteries

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

Thanks for the info! I kinda figured that about the cheap elec. chargers. I tried to build mine from a blower fan from an Allis Chalmers 78 series planter. To get enough air flow you have to go to 24volts, but then the fan motor burns up shortly thereafter! lol.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

By The Way, have you seen these before? http://www.ststurbo.com/
Claim's you can turbocharge ANY car. I allready have nearly enough stuff here to build one of these on my own. ( I have a used Air Research ( .96 AR ) turbo off of a Gleaner combine sitting on the parts shelf. Would build about 9 - 12 lbs of boost at 3000 rpm.
But I do not know how 1) to set up the computer for the boost 2) How to set up the fuel system for the extra air, and 3) If the stock internals would handle the extra power.
But it looks very doo-able!!!!!!!
What is your opinion on this?????

Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe STS systems take a TON of room under the car , they suffer from MASSIVE turbo lag ... I've driven an STS equipped Vette and Firebird , Can't say I'm overly impressed ...
Fuel if you revert to a 95/96 with an external FPR you can use that to compensate
Computer stand alone would be the best , unsure what exile did or disturbing for it
ditto on internals although I read exile was on stock internals

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Darkavenger

How much boost (in psi) would you think the V-6 would handle on stock internals ?
Im thinking about custom making a forced induction on my own. (Got a few ideas still not on paper yet but some seem to be very doable) I do have a spare engine and i might be willing to do the prototype testing

Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 AM
orangejulius

although i think about 6-7psi is probably do-able, i too am curious about the max "safe" pressure.

which i assume about 7 psi gets you something like an extra 50 hp?

i know for those old supras that came stock on 200hp, the diff between stock 7psi on turbo, and then 15psi was about 47 hp, so if that gives you any ideas?

i wouldn't go too high especially on the avenger.. it's not exactly made to be turbo'd.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Darkavenger

I've been taking a look at Disturbing Motorsports. even tho i would have to rebuild my V-6 with aftermarket internals it's possible i will. Altho for now im just looking into paying down loans and saving up money I am now set in a direction to do this properly. im looking forward to see what comes from their project.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

Just an update on my current thoughts this topic; I bevlieve one would be better suited to do the 3.0L engine swap, with the 3L having all the good aftermarket internals installed prior to puting into the car, then turboing THAT engine. HOWEVER, we (all of us in ANY application ) still have the weak a$$ auto transmissions to deal with! Not sure what to do about them yet. Truthfully, figuring out a better transmisson ( Able to reliabley hold 275 hp, with occasional 350 hp when the nos hits it ) is my current biggest hold up. I know I can get to the 300 hp mark. That is no real problem. But 300 hp is USELESS if the trans. has puked it's guts out! lol.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
orangejulius

speaking of trans puking its guts out..

my car (although i thought i'd fixed it with sea foam) because i waited so long for an oil change... is starting to make sounds again since the oil change last week..

i'm afraid to say its the transmission, with only 86k miles on the car... but it's definitely possible... i'm just hoping it could be anything else.

is it possible to have pinging from a warn down exhaust? when i step on the gas at different pressures of pushing the pedal down sometimes it pings quietly sometimes really loud, and it's not very consistent, mostly around 2-3k rpm in the lower gears...

any ideas? i mean i thought exhaust because maybe it was some kind of pressure or rumbling causing warn parts to move around..?

Quick Reply: Forced induction v-6?????