1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1996 Avenger ES Comm Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
joedago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Avenger ES Comm Problems

I have a 1996 ES. It sat for about a year in my driveway needing a new alternator. After finally doing a bunch of work on it, it runs fine for the most part. Had it through emissions several times during the first couple months of driving it again and was told every time that the computer was not ready and to drive it more. After a couple months of driving it, got a CEL. Keydance gave me codes for 2 sensors however my attempt to use a code reader/clearer on the port resulted in no readout when used on my vehicle(control tested as well to make sure the device worked). I plan to change the sensors indicated by the codes but my worry is the comm port. Im assuming there were mice living inbetween the heads while the car sat due to a bunch of debris i had to remove. Is there any common cause for the port not to read or am I stuck trying to find if there are any damaged wires etc?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off the 96 is not OBD1 or OBD2... It's like a OBD1.5 it needs an adapter to be read by either Have you tried taking it to a parts store

Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM
joedago

No the car has been stashed at in-laws house due to bad plate and unhappy city. I never knew that it wasn't a standard port. I will give the parts store a try. ty

Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM
sarabeara4189

My 96 works with obd II before that fuse stopped working... does your cigarette lighter work or no? as those are controlled by the same fuse... i have not located this fuse yet though because they are not labled and i have no manual

Quick Reply: 1996 Avenger ES Comm Problems