1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Transmission swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 PM
ericcarr2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission swap problems

Ok guys. I just got done bolting the replacement transmission to the block & trans mounts. Im having a few problems. All of the electrical connectors with the exception of one hook up fine. Theres one connector that's towards the front drivers side of the transmission which wont go in. On the car side it looks like there are some slots but on the transmission side there are not. Whats going on here. Also, for some reason I cant figure out on how to hook up the trans shifting linkage. The linkage itself has a nut on top that of course unscrews and on the trans side all there is is a stud, no threads. I got the transmission from a local junk yard that had only 97,000 mikles on it supposedly. The replacement trans looked identical to the one I took out. Not sure whats going on here. Does some one have a diagram or picture of how the linkage hooks up?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might help to give some info car you have tranny you got ...
I'll assume auto trans the 95/96 tranny are different then the 97+

Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 AM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Default 98 tranny issues

I have a 98 1500 4wd and i had an 01 46re placed into mine. They had to swap the electrical connections to make it work but all went fine because they changed some stuff slightly apparantly on how it hooks up. No problems for months. But now i Just had this tranny rebuilt (well, he fixed what was broken and worn, not a complete rebuild), and he asked what year the truck was and i told him a 98 not remembering that the tranny is technically an 01. So now i cant get it to shift really.. like itll ride in 1st, then i gotta let off gas and wait and itll sometimes shift to second. Then slowly in a minute might go to third, then overdrive and TCC is a breeze and no sweat. Is there a possiblility there is a different setup in the valve body with check ***** that they switched from 98 to 01 and he put one in or took one out when he opened it up? or is this my governor pressure sensors/solenoids that are re-breaking back in? i drove it quite a bit yesterday. Didn't seem to change anything. Fluid level seems to be right, put about 5 1/2 quarts in, maybe about 6. Thanks in advance

Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 PM
ericcarr2000
Rookie

Well, it is a 98 Avenger. I was TOLD that the automatic replacement transmission was out of a 98 and had only 96,000 miles on it, but I had to have the PRNDL switch replaced in order to be able to hook up the 10 pin connector. After installing the trans, I tried to turn her over and nothing. The starter is engaging the flywheel so I un-bolted the trans from the motor and it did turn over, didnt start as of yet because it seems that the torque converter is still binding up somewhere on the flywheel. So sometime this weekend sometime Ill drop the trans and visually check everything out that way.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 AM
ChuckTaylor

Its the model number of the transmission that matters linkage, converters and solenoids can be swapped out but shouldn't affect its ability to not shift if it has pressure to move the vehicle there is pressure present and shift... a transmission with low pressure will require higher than normal rpm and or will shift hard most of the time

Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You need to make sure the torque converter is all the way seated it the bell housing.

Quick Reply: Transmission swap problems