1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Car stalling at idle

Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalling at idle

Hi all,
I have a 1997 Avenger ES 2.5 with 152,000 miles on it. I do most of the service that I can to the car myself. I used to be a car air conditioner mechanic so I pretty much know about cars but this has got me stumped. The car seems to stall from time to time while at idle whether it is hot or cold. When I am stopped at a light, pulling out of my driveway or whenever it is at idle. Now it seems to idle a little rough as well. When I pulled the codes, when the light in the dash was on, it pulled up the code that the bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor was bad. When I replaced it the sensor was totally carboned up. After I replaced it the car ran around the same and stalled but not as bad. Now it is stalling like it did before but I have no light on in the dash. I thought it might be the EGR valve so I purchased one but I see it is in the very back of the engine. Could that be the problem and since I have already purchased it do I need to remove the intake (plenum) in order to replace it. Is there a way to test it without removing it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Brian Vantassell

Did you ever figure it out ? I'm having the same problem thx

Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie

I was told from another forum to change the IAC valve, which I did, and it only help a little bit. The old IAC was covered in carbon and the valve was stuck open so I thought that might be the problem. I am going to run some carbon blaster through it to see if that will help. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Thanks,

Glenn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car stalling at idle