1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Distributor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor replacement

Hi all,

I finally decided to take the plunge and replace the distributor in my 1997 Avenger ES 2.5. It has been stalling at idle and I was told it could be the coil in the distributor going bad so I decided to pick one up and replace it over the weekend. It was pretty much straight forward until I tried to remove it and then I basically had to use a crowbar to get it out. It must have been leaking oil as I did see a nice puddle of oil on my transmission case. I basically had the same problem getting the distributor back in. I got it to around a quarter's thickness from meshing with the engine and could not get it to go any further. I did not want to bang on it or mash down on the nuts fearing I would break an ear off the distributor. I started the car up and it ran fine. The only problem I had was that the check engine light is on. What might be going on with that. I did take it to Auto Zone but they could not pull up any codes.

Also, when I pulled the battery and tray out of the car I noticed that the driver side transmission mount is destroyed. How difficult is it to replace that mount?

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to my previous post...after taking the car for a ride on Sunday, the day after I put the distributor in, when I started the car in the garage it started right up but then stalled. When I started it again it ran fine and I noticed the check engine light had gone out. I back out of the driveway but the car stalled again. I restarted it and the car ran fine but when I went to accelerated the car bucked like it was starving for fuel and continued to stall and buck until I had to turn around and come back to the house. What possibly could be going on with this car. I am just about to give up and junk it but since this is my only car I need to try to fix it.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Quick Reply: Distributor replacement