1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

tire rubb on the rear A arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:41 PM
AvengerNewb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rubb on the rear A arm

I put this on the Tire and Wheel pros section, but am kinda curious if anyone else has first hand experience with this.

The rear tires on my 97 Avenger ES are worn to the belts on the inner side, and wondering if this is caused from too wide of tire, or if I need some suspension work. The tires are stock I am assuming, since I bought it used, 215 50 series on 17 inch rims. They look like they fit well, but i am guessing with the car full of my offspring and the lil misses, we are sagging it down and causing it to rub.

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks

Old 10-13-2006, 10:03 PM
bgm
Default RE: tire rubb on the rear A arm

well, ive never had that problem, but i doubt it would be rubbing if it's stock. sounds like camber issues, some "toe out" or is it in...well anyways. could be a bad ball joint or something of the sort. if worst comes to worst get it checked by a garage or alignment shop. dont know if that'll help.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:15 PM
95_Avenger
Professional

i was reading of a recall about somthing like that you might want to look in to it i know there was one for 95 but idk about you year..

Old 10-13-2006, 10:20 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: bgm

some "toe out"
That can do it + misalignment (too much negative camber at full weight). Weight can affect how the tires wear also, a car with a full tank + at least 300lbs of front passengers + at least 200lbs of rear passenger will weigh the car down significantly add a factor of old shocks and worn springs.
I would say, if you're bouncing around a little too much on bumps and dips or if the bottom scrapes on driveways or entrances, you could have suspension issues.

Oh btw, 215/50/17 is the correct tire size for a 97 ES.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 PM
AvengerNewb

Its going into the shop tomorrow and we will get it up on the rack, hopefully it wont be too expensive to cure!

Old 10-14-2006, 11:27 AM
AvengerNewb

I havent felt and serious bumping, and it doesnt drag the driveway, but I did notice the shocks looked like they might be the original shocks/struts still, so I am planning to upgrade those, just have to get it inspected for state registration first. The rust factor up here in cold snow country is agravating. I did the front brakes just because, and the rotors were welded on with rust, They came off in pieces. The car seems to ride fine, but I agree with the weiging down factor, since both tires have even tread wear. I will know more after today.

Quick Reply: tire rubb on the rear A arm