DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota general discussion (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion-150/)
-   -   Torsion bar science (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion/286118-torsion-bar-science.html)

verdesardog 04-05-2011 11:55 AM

All the info I have posted is on this thread, I'm way more familiar with trucks than computers, I tried several different ways to post this and finaly got to this point.

The IFS on our Dakotas is very limited in how it can be modified, shocks and t bars is about all that can be done without cutting and welding and totally changing the complete front end.

The purpose of a suspension is primarily to keep the tires on the ground, if you have your truck so lifted that you don't have much upper travel then you are driving a pogo stick. I see you say your truck is lifted 5", that must include a body lift, sure it allows running taller tires but does nothing for the suspension. My truck is lifted about 2" (no body lift) which gives me a pretty decent suspension. And I'm running 30x9.5 tires. I know it's not extreme, if I wanted an extreme truck I would not have a Dakota!

I don't know what I'm talking about? I've probably been driving and modifying 4x4 trucks since before you were born.

All I've been trying to do is educate some people that are trying to get the most out of their trucks, but you seem to have taken it as a personal attack.

I think this whole discussion has been hilarious.

festerw 04-05-2011 08:34 PM

Here's my opinion on the subject, while the force on the bars may not change the angles at which the other suspension components sit do change. I know on my truck with the bars cranked completely the control are angle is much steeper than it was stock and that is enough again in my own opinion to change the ride characteristics of the vehicle.

verdesardog 04-05-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by festerw (Post 2470396)
Here's my opinion on the subject, while the force on the bars may not change the angles at which the other suspension components sit do change. I know on my truck with the bars cranked completely the control are angle is much steeper than it was stock and that is enough again in my own opinion to change the ride characteristics of the vehicle.

I agree, when cranked to extreme you might feel a bit of difference due to suspension geometry change but it's not due to more stress or force on the T bars. Tweaking the t bars will not change the spring rate of the bars or put any more of a load on them except at extreme flex (bouncing or jumping your truck down a bumpy road) where the bars can flex more than normal.

12345KenO 07-03-2012 04:08 AM

I am responding to this thread because everyone is so passionate about this subject.

I removed, replaced the entire front suspension on my 87 Dakota. I did not mark the TB's prior to removing, but marked the threads on the key.

Now when I lower the truck back down, it will bottom out(newby mistake). What did I do wrong.

MoparMan1991 07-03-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by 12345KenO (Post 2816978)
I am responding to this thread because everyone is so passionate about this subject.

I removed, replaced the entire front suspension on my 87 Dakota. I did not mark the TB's prior to removing, but marked the threads on the key.

Now when I lower the truck back down, it will bottom out(newby mistake). What did I do wrong.

Turned the Tbar nut the wrong way? Seems like a pretty logical answer to me. . . .

12345KenO 07-07-2012 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached a drawing of the stock suspension. So everyone can see what I have. Like I said; When I take the truck off the jack stands the whole front end falls to the ground.

Crazy4x4RT 07-07-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 12345KenO (Post 2819633)
I attached a drawing of the stock suspension. So everyone can see what I have. Like I said; When I take the truck off the jack stands the whole front end falls to the ground.

Just tighten up the torsion bar anchor/key bolts.

12345KenO 07-10-2012 01:00 PM

tightening the key raises the suspension

Crazy4x4RT 07-10-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 12345KenO (Post 2821664)
tightening the key raises the suspension

Yes correct. So what is the problem if that doesn't fix it? Post up pictures or a video.