1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

New member from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
chr_han
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member from Texas

Hello, my name is Chris and I am an alcoho.........whoops, wrong forum!

Newbie here and just wanted to introduce myself. I inherited a 93 Dakota about 13 years ago. It has sentimental value and I will never get rid of it. It is the extended cab LE with the 3.9 six banger.
When I first got it, it had 86k miles and as of today it just hit 230k miles. About two years ago, the paint started flaking off the hood and roof pretty bad. Early last year, it started showing signs of rust thru the primer and that's when I decided it was time to do something about it. I took it to a local body shop and they re-shot the top of the truck. At that time, I also replaced the headlights and dew wipes in the doors and repainted the fender flares and grill insert. I don't have a before pic, but here is what it looks like now:

Not too shabby for a 230k mile truck..

Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF. She looks nice and shiny!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to df! you truck is a lot like my old 93 but with less black. lol i like it.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

It looks almost new O_o welcome to the forums man. Nice to have another 93' year guy, ours have a few unique touches to them lol

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
chr_han

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Even though it is just the V6, I have towed many cars with it over the years. The heaviest was a 1963 Lincoln. I think trailer and car totaled 6500lbs or so. The guy that was buying the car couldn't believe I was going to tow it with this little truck. I told him no big deal, I just don't get in any hurry and it will be fine. We drove about 120 miles at 60mph with the OD off and the A/C on with fully functioning trailer brakes. I have a B&M trans cooler up front that helps the tranny live under that kind of punishment.
I even towed my street/strip car to the track many times (1988 T-bird Turbocoupe). I installed winch connections on the truck and installed a winch mount on the trailer which made things much easier.
These days, the Dakota doesn't do much towing anymore because I want the truck to last, so we use the wife's ride for towing most of the time. It is a 2012 F-150 Supercrew with the 5.0 engine. Bigger, heavier truck with more power.

I have thought about more power for the Dak, but from my research, it doesn't seem that there is much of anything that will make a measurable difference on the sixer. I am capable of a 5.2 engine swap, but not really sure I want mess with that. It runs great and everything works so I may just leave it at that and drive it.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I wouldn't mess with it. Keep it simple, I say.

If you'd go with a more modern Magnum engine, you'd get into different electronics, which can be challenging. If you would go to a Magnum, tho, and want to increase power, I'd go with a 5.9. Pretty much same engine, just more displacement & power.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
paulpa
Amateur

I love those first generation dakotas,,,thats a nice looking truck

Quick Reply: New member from Texas