1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:29 PM
charle2dogs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 dakota

The truck is a 1992 dodge dakota le, 3.9 magnum, 99k miles two wheel drive, auto transmission. Guys any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Here is a list of symptoms best i can figure it out for the last while.

1.when i first crank trk, if it idles long, it will die, it wont crank until i turn the key off and back on, then it cranks right up and goes on, no more problems with that.

2. when im going 30-40 there is a lot of shifting back and forth if im going up grade, if down grade it will go into higher gear and goes on.

3. if im on the main highway running 55-65 everything seems fine and seems to be in overdrive, but if i start down a grade and back completely off the gas it down shifts immediately, if i let up but keep it down just a very little it wont down shift.

4. when i push the button to take it out of overdrive nothing happen, if i unhook the battery and hook it back the light comes on to show its out of overdrive but when i go down the road, it seems to go into overdrve anyway, and after that the light doesnt come on when the overdive off button is pushed and doesnt
change from overdrive into just drive.

5. when i driving along on a curvy road around maybe 30 and start up grade, when i press on the gas it doesnt downshift and pick up speed, keep dragging along trying to gain speed, unless i floor it and then it will go into passing gear.

6.It shows a 45 code, with ten things under that code. I have been working for a little while to try and figure out exactly what is going on with it and these things are the best i can come up with.

I have replaced the map sensor, iac, tps, crank sensor, plug wires, plugs, rotor cap and button, have adjusted throttle cable to transmission,

Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

If it is automatic the FAQ page says it is a 42RH trans. You should get the factory service manual.
Problem one made me thing your ignition switch is malfunctioning. The rest of what you describe all fall into two categories if it is an automatic, improperly adjusted TV cable and an overdrive solenoid gone bad or possibly the OD unit gone bad. The TV cable instructions for the Throttle Body end are easy to find and all seem to assume the trans end is already right. I cannot to find the correct instructions for setting it at the transmission. Seems like you'd have to make sure that end was right before tuning it in at the top side. It occurs to ask have you had the trans oil and filter changed? If you find the instructions for the TV cable trans end adjustment online please put a link here.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:22 PM
charle2dogs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 dakota

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
If it is automatic the FAQ page says it is a 42RH trans. You should get the factory service manual.
Problem one made me thing your ignition switch is malfunctioning. The rest of what you describe all fall into two categories if it is an automatic, improperly adjusted TV cable and an overdrive solenoid gone bad or possibly the OD unit gone bad. The TV cable instructions for the Throttle Body end are easy to find and all seem to assume the trans end is already right. I cannot to find the correct instructions for setting it at the transmission. Seems like you'd have to make sure that end was right before tuning it in at the top side. It occurs to ask have you had the trans oil and filter changed? If you find the instructions for the TV cable trans end adjustment online please put a link here.
i have adjusted the tv cable, i did put a new ignition switch, forgot to add those, i have not changed the fluid or filter yet, thought i would see what other with more experience advised before doing anything. It goes in overdrive and runs ok on the open road, its just not staying like it should at times and its not down shifting at times when it should and at times its downshifting when it shouldnt, I know that may not sound right but it seems that way, hope that helps, I appreciate your reply to my question i'm sort of lost with this and thought i would seek help before doing anything.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I can only tell you to get the factory service manual then. There are diagnostic procedures.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:49 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked or adjusted the kickdown linkage? Sounds to me like the truck is kicking down. Also check the ground strap to your transmission.