1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota, 5.2L Wont Start In Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts
Default 93 Dakota, 5.2L Wont Start In Park

Once every half year or so my truck would not start in park. I'd have to drop it into neutral to start it. The frequency has recently increased dramatically to the point where I need to do this more often than not. No idea what the problem is. I put in a new neutral safety switch less than a year ago (which is about the third one I've put in). Any ideas?

Thank you, Ed

Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

OK, I found the problem. The hardware and bushing have rotted off the end of the transmission torque shaft linkage so the shaft is allowed to flop around and now the linkage is out of adjustment. God knows where I will ever find those parts.

Note the hardware missing from the end that holds the shaft to the bracket.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Found part at the dodge dealer. A bushing that replaces the bushing, spring washer, and two regular washers shown on the drawing. Works perfectly. Was able to move shaft end out of the way to insert bushing in bracket. Pushed it in by hand. Slight prying to get shaft lined up and squeezed it in with a pair of channel locks. Done! Car will now start in park. Didn't even have to adjust the linkage.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bronze
Found part at the dodge dealer. A bushing that replaces the bushing, spring washer, and two regular washers shown on the drawing. Works perfectly. Was able to move shaft end out of the way to insert bushing in bracket. Pushed it in by hand. Slight prying to get shaft lined up and squeezed it in with a pair of channel locks. Done! Car will now start in park. Didn't even have to adjust the linkage.
I bought mine off Ebay, but you can also buy the bushing from Advance Auto Parts....It's an ATP TO-42. Worked great on my rebuild.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-42/11237476-P

Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Hi Robert. The TO-42 you referenced is actually the bushing that goes on the other end of the shift torque shaft. The bushing that went out on mine was on the other side (to the outside of the truck). I believe that is a TO-41. However, the part I got from the Dodge dealer is not necessarily the same as the TO-41. Cannot be sure. If you look in Haynes or Chiltons it shows the bushing, two regular washers, and a spring washer. The bushing I got from the dealer eliminates the need for the spring washer and two regular washers.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:54 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct....I misread your post since that inner one is usually the hard one to find. The outer one is the TO-41....I forgot where I bought that one but it too was a new purchase on my truck...I didn't use any springs or washers.

EDIT: Found what I purchased - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-and-Sh...RZFp~L&vxp=mtr

It's the white funky looking one at the bottom.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-14-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:39 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Good info for anyone experiencing the same problem. And for the record, here is a photo of the finished repair. And the part I purchased from the dealer was as follows..."5211845 131E Grommet-TR"

Last edited by bronze; 07-15-2017 at 01:02 PM.