Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota Tech > 1st Gen Dakota general discussion
Reload this Page >

1988 2.2 liter 4cyl. no factory installed power steering?

1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

1988 2.2 liter 4cyl. no factory installed power steering?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:26 PM
songboat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default armstrong possible remedy has arrived

Wha La my rebuilt part has arrived. My should is still injured due to the armstrong technic I had to use to turn the wheel. I will update you in an couple hours as to the results of the installation.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Blue Moon
Amateur

Well I hope it makes the steering a little lighter for you at least.....and fingers crossed for no rain!

Good luck

Old 10-04-2017, 04:13 PM
songboat
Amateur

thanks

Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 PM
songboat
Amateur

The good news is, I got the new rebuilt rack and pinion installed, got alignment 100% easier to steer, The bad news is during this repair was somehow I bent the blinker arm down and close to the steering wheel still had turn signals, but would not switch from bright to dim headlights, was just out messing with it and the arm broke off with part of the piece it goes into. So I will be trying to figure out a fix for that.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Replace the stalk.

I *think* that the actually high/lo beam switch is further down the steering column, and is simply operated by a rod from the turn signal stalk. The switch should be adjustable. (I think.....)

Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Replace the stalk.

I *think* that the actually high/lo beam switch is further down the steering column, and is simply operated by a rod from the turn signal stalk. The switch should be adjustable. (I think.....)
This.

For a 1988, yes, the actual switch is towards the bottom of the column; that stalk is just to manipulate the rest of it.

If your truck is non-tilt, it's actually fairly easy to get into the column to get to where the stalk mounts; if it's tilt, it's a bit harder, but very doable with a couple of bespoke tools (that are rentable from places like AutoZone etc.)

The hardest part is finding a non-cruise stalk; that may take some junkyard diving to find. (I THINK that the cruise stalk will also fit there, as will the interval wiper stalk; a stalk with neither will be very hard to find - those options were so common, according to the FSM, that I doubt you'll find a pure stalk. But again, they all bolt up the same, so ... )

RwP

Old 10-08-2017, 03:13 AM
songboat
Amateur

yes it was rather easy I just took it out, the metal doda that the arm goes in was broke. I got it out now and jb welded it back together. Apparently my bright lights are not that bright anyway because nobody flashed me when I was driving with only brights on. lol
I do have a hard time finding parts at the local junk yards. This truck seems like an odd duck I do not think they made many with none of the upgrades such as power steering. It is so much easier with the rebuilt rack and pin, I think I will keep it for awhile now. Drivers door sags, guess I will put a hydraulic jack under it and bend the hinge up so it will shut and not rattle.

Last edited by songboat; 10-08-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:01 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by songboat View Post
yes it was rather easy I just took it out, the metal doda that the arm goes in was broke. I got it out now and jb welded it back together. Apparently my bright lights are not that bright anyway because nobody flashed me when I was driving with only brights on. lol
I do have a hard time finding parts at the local junk yards. This truck seems like an odd duck I do not think they made many with none of the upgrades such as power steering. It is so much easier with the rebuilt rack and pin, I think I will keep it for awhile now. Drivers door sags, guess I will put a hydraulic jack under it and bend the hinge up so it will shut and not rattle.
Can you just replace the pins and bushings in the hinge? That's usually what wears out.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Can you just replace the pins and bushings in the hinge? That's usually what wears out.
This, and check the welds for the door side of the hinge; that breaks with age on these trucks.

I've already had my driver's door hinge welded back to the door on my 1988.

RwP

Old 10-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Blue Moon
Amateur

Originally Posted by songboat View Post
The good news is, I got the new rebuilt rack and pinion installed, got alignment 100% easier to steer, The bad news is during this repair was somehow I bent the blinker arm down and close to the steering wheel still had turn signals, but would not switch from bright to dim headlights, was just out messing with it and the arm broke off with part of the piece it goes into. So I will be trying to figure out a fix for that.
Well I am glad your shoulder can take a bit of a well deserved rest. good work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: