1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

3.9 Intake leaking oil

Old 07-22-2018, 11:50 PM
dakootie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 Intake leaking oil

Looking down the throttle body I can see a film of oil on the bottom, the intake shown in the picture came from a 96 Dskota that someone had left as scrap at our local landfill. It's now minus a few parts.

After removing the bottom plate from the dump intake it also had a layer of oil on the bottom.

I'm well aware there is an aftermarket aluminium plate that is supposed to fix this problem and If I thought the aluminium plate was the holy grail to keep this oil from recurring I would have the Hutterite Colony laser cut a few dozen of them up and gift them to people.

I think the real problem is the distance between the bolts on the one side of the OEM steel plate that is causing the gasket to fail.

After replacing the gasket I'm going to drill holes in between each bolt hole then tap in a U-drive to better secure the plate to the intake.

Thoughts appreciated.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:27 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its the LENGTH of the bolts that was the major issue. (V-8's had the same issue.) Clean it up good, get some shorter bolts, (or, cut the nipple off the end of the factory bolts.) use a GOOD quality gasket, and you are good to go.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Its the LENGTH of the bolts that was the major issue. (V-8's had the same issue.) Clean it up good, get some shorter bolts, (or, cut the nipple off the end of the factory bolts.) use a GOOD quality gasket, and you are good to go.
How did the engineers miss that, my caliper confirms that the bolts bottom out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakootie View Post

Thanks for the heads up.
Most likely, they ordered a special length bolt, and the bean counters substituted one that was .00001 cents less per bolt, but .001" too long.

What, me cynical about purchasing agents? What EVER gave you THAT idea????

RwP

Old 07-27-2018, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dakootie View Post

Thanks for the heads up.
Somebody didn't take in to account that over time, the gasket would harden, and shrink. Or..... They KNEW it was going to happen, but, so long as it lasted longer than the warranty..... (and gaskets aren't covered after the bumper-to-bumper warrant expires) they let it go.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 AM
glenlloyd
Professional

Currently working on this and while the bolt does in fact bottom, the gap that's left is less than the thickness of the cover so I don't agree that it's the bolt unless someone has gotten bolts that are different from mine...and mine are original to the truck. I think it's more likely that the gasket is just insufficient to the task, after all it's pretty wimpy.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.9 Intake leaking oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: