1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

May Buy a Scanner Tool - Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:56 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default May Buy a Scanner Tool - Which one?

Hey guys. I have a 91 and a 94 dakota. To date, i've been counting the dash light flashes for trouble codes on these two trucks. Would an OBD I reader give more info?

I may be buying a 2002 Dodge Caravan so i'd want to buy an OBD II. There is one of these that claims to also read OBD I. I'd shell out $108 if i knew it would help me now as well as in the later model vehicles. https://www.ebay.com/p/Innova-Electr...p2047675.l2644

What do y'all say? Thanks

Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Doesn't look like that one does OBDI engine codes. Though, how it does OBDI trans codes, but ignores engine codes, is kinda strange..... In all reality, I wouldn't expect it to do anything with OBDI. Either need to come up with another scanner just for OBDI, or maybe spring a bit more money, and pick up something like a Snap-On MTG2500. (the "G" part in there means Graphing, which is what you want.) You can get 'em on Ebay for around 400 bucks or so, and it does EVERYTHING. And then some. (if it comes with the right cartridges.)

Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

i'd have to save a few years for that one.. i'll keep looking. So, if i get one for strictly OBD I for use on my trucks, would it give more info than the key switch deal? I'm sure theres stuff going on with my 94 but the key isn't flashing any codes at all.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Oh yeah; what stuff does the transmission reader read? Torque converter, gears, overdrive, low fluid, leaks, what? thanks

Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

On OBDI? I really am not sure. There are some trans codes, but, those are generally set by the PCM, so, one would think it would need to be able to talk to the OBDI PCM..... Might be worth calling the vendor, and having a chat.

What info you get depends on the scanner. If it is *just* a code reader, then the key trick would be just as effective. If it will read live data though, that can sometimes be VERY helpful.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:45 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it will read live data though, that can sometimes be VERY helpful.

Thanks; i'll try and find one that reads live data!

Old 08-24-2018, 07:21 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

I contacted Innova; they say that none of their obd1s have the live data feature. crap.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Unfortunately, the guy who used to run BoostButton.COM has retired; but you can make an adapter to match a FTDI cable to the SCI bus, and there's MPScan, a free OBD1 (well, actually, Chrysler SCI) live data scanner.

BoostButton used to sell the adapter; he still has the template at OSHPark to make'em, so you can order the bare PCB. I need to figure out how to wire it, though (yes, I have three of them! Need to build them for my own edification.)

Problem is, it needs a matching template file ... *grumps*

RwP

Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Hey Ralph; that went over my head your boostbutton buddy says, "I will be putting all of the BB board designs in the public for anyone to order if you want to go true DIY; or anyone else to make and sell if they wish.
https://oshpark.com/profiles/BoostButton " Here's your opportunity!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Heh.

Alas, I can see massive possible liabilities selling to just anyone; so no.

RwP

Quick Reply: May Buy a Scanner Tool - Which one?