1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Where is the fog light switch

Old 12-28-2018, 09:24 PM
49ford
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the fog light switch

hey I have a 91 Dakota and I’m thinking about adding fog lights but I can’t figure out where the switch would go on a Dakota that had them stock. Is the switch a separate button or is it apart of the headlight switch.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You may have to pick up the factory service manual (printed by Bishko Publishing; quite often avaialble used on Ebay).

For 1995, it was on the steering column shroud to the left of the steering column (page 8L-10).

RwP

Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe on the 91-96 the fog light switch is supposed to be located on the trim panel under the column on the left side edge. If you drop that panel (two screws) and look at the back there are outlines there for fog light switch and for off-road light switch too. There's also an outline for something else on the right side but I can't recall what it is, it might be related to transmission...

There's a 96 Dakota that had factory fogs in the JY I frequent and I noticed the fog light switch located there. I'd be curious to know whether all trucks were pre-wired for fogs or whether it's a completely separate harness?

The early trucks 87-90, located the fog light switch on the right side of that lower trim panel.

Steve

Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by 49ford
hey I have a 91 Dakota and I’m thinking about adding fog lights but I can’t figure out where the switch would go on a Dakota that had them stock. Is the switch a separate button or is it apart of the headlight switch.
Switch is separate button that gets located here:

Steve

Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 PM
49ford

Ok thanks those pictures really helped now my next question is are the wires already ran through the truck or must I run wires myself

Old 01-08-2019, 08:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Ok thanks those pictures really helped now my next question is are the wires already ran through the truck or must I run wires myself
That seems to be luck of the draw.... some trucks have the connectors for ALL the options, whether they have them or not.... Others, not so much.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 PM
49ford

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That seems to be luck of the draw.... some trucks have the connectors for ALL the options, whether they have them or not.... Others, not so much.
ok thanks now I know my next step

Old 01-09-2019, 01:32 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

ok thanks now I know my next step
I don't know that much about how Dodge did their wiring, but based on what I'm seeing on my 94 Dakota I would say they did not wire all trucks for factory fog lights.

Based on what I've seen it looks like factory fogs were only included in the AGG sport package, or at least as far as I can tell. I have found none of the connectors for the fogs on my truck.

I will be returning to that truck from the pics shortly, I will take a look at the wiring but IIRC it was all wrapped up together with the rest, not a separate harness as I'd hoped.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the fog light switch