DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota general discussion (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion-150/)
-   -   Upper control arm (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion/420544-upper-control-arm.html)

Matt McCarthy 12-29-2018 01:37 PM

Upper control arm

My son in law has a 1991 Dakota 4 x 4 . Can't find a new replacement driver side upper control. Doesn't anyone carry these any more ? Hate to go to a junk yard only to purchase old parts in the same condition . Any help would be great . Thank's Matt

RalphP 12-29-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt McCarthy (Post 3423847)
My son in law has a 1991 Dakota 4 x 4 . Can't find a new replacement driver side upper control. Doesn't anyone carry these any more ? Hate to go to a junk yard only to purchase old parts in the same condition . Any help would be great . Thank's Matt

Buy the old control arms, then rebuild them (new ball joints and bushings.) But yes, nobody sells new ones anymore.

IIRC, the 2WD upper bushings fit just fine; it's one of the lower 2WD bushings that have to be adjusted to fit a 4WD lower control arm.

RwP

Matt McCarthy 12-29-2018 05:08 PM

Thank's Ralph I appreciate that . No one makes it easy anymore !

RalphP 12-29-2018 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Matt McCarthy (Post 3423873)
Thank's Ralph I appreciate that . No one makes it easy anymore !

Easy is to buy a new vehicle and take it to the dealership. I'm not sure I'd want easy ;)

It's not as bad as you may think; I did Energy Suspension poly bushings when I rebuilt the control arms on my 1988.

Since then, I found out that the black Prothane brand bushings are supposedly graphite-impregnated. Keep that in mind.

RwP

Matt McCarthy 12-30-2018 12:50 PM

Thank's Ralph I will keep that in mind .

RalphP 12-30-2018 02:47 PM

I'll add that I've liked the ride of my 1988; YMMV for the extra stiffness that poly gives.

(Compared to the old hard rubber bushings, the poly ride a bit SOFTER ... YMMV on that also!)

RwP

glenlloyd 01-02-2019 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 3423887)
Easy is to buy a new vehicle and take it to the dealership. I'm not sure I'd want easy ;)

It's not as bad as you may think; I did Energy Suspension poly bushings when I rebuilt the control arms on my 1988.

Since then, I found out that the black Prothane brand bushings are supposedly graphite-impregnated. Keep that in mind.

RwP

I can't stomach the prices they're charging for new vehicles....

Steve

Kenneth J Owens Jr 01-02-2019 06:48 AM

New control arms

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 3423850)
Buy the old control arms, then rebuild them (new ball joints and bushings.) But yes, nobody sells new ones anymore.

IIRC, the 2WD upper bushings fit just fine; it's one of the lower 2WD bushings that have to be adjusted to fit a 4WD lower control arm.

RwP

Try an online company called rock auto. I got new upper and lower control arms for my 02 dakota, came with new ball joints and bushings and they were less than half the price from auto stores. I think I paid around 225 for both upper and lower.

RalphP 01-02-2019 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth J Owens Jr (Post 3424282)
Try an online company called rock auto. I got new upper and lower control arms for my 02 dakota, came with new ball joints and bushings and they were less than half the price from auto stores. I think I paid around 225 for both upper and lower.

That's great for an 02 Dak!

HOWEVER.

This is in the Gen1 subforum - 1987 to 1996.

Find us upper control arms for the Gen1 Daks there. :icon_smile:

RwP

KevinSandidge 07-21-2022 03:22 PM

Rock Auto is 'out of stock' for control arms for my '91 2wd and haven't found any aftermarket anywhere so I down to searching for used. Until the front end man looks at my truck, i'm just assuming my passenger side is bent. top or bottom or both - idk
I feel up a creek as well Kenneth