DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota general discussion (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion-150/)
-   -   1992 Dakota front springs (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-general-discussion/421806-1992-dakota-front-springs.html)

callmetrinity 03-02-2019 08:00 PM

1992 Dakota front springs

I've installed a 440 into my 92 Dakota. Problem is now the front coils appear too weak to support the weight.
Any suggestions as to what coils should I install to bring up the front so the truck stops riding like a chuckwagon.

volaredon 03-03-2019 09:22 PM

look for the MOOG "cargo coils.... get the ones for the same truck with a V8. the Cargo coil line, are a progressive rate. the coils towards the top are stiffer (closer together) than the ones towards the bottom (as installed) they also have stock type constant rate springs. but your truck is no longer stock.
Though they never put a big block in a Dakota from the factory, being new and being progressive rate vs the stock originals' constant rate style springs, they will be stronger than your weak clapped out originals. I put a 318 in place of a slant 6, in a 79 D-100 short bed, with ALOT of miles on that slant 6. Meaning a lot of bouncing, a lot of wear and tear. Not long after the engine swap, I had a busted front spring on one side. In that case they did offer a 318 in that body so my choice was made easier. and there is less "difference" between what a slant 6 and a smallblock weighs than there is between the weight of a small block and a big block.....
failing that your only choice is to check out the "buyers guide" in the back of a real, old school, paper catalog from Moog, and look into the height, spring diameter (both the thickness of the metal and the inside/outside diameter of the spring itself) and spring rate. Compare the standard spring they list for tour truck as it came from the factory and the spring rate for their cargo coil line for the heaviest available engine in one of those trucks (which was a small block) What engine was in your truck from new?

callmetrinity 03-05-2019 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by volaredon (Post 3431226)
look for the MOOG "cargo coils.... get the ones for the same truck with a V8. the Cargo coil line, are a progressive rate. the coils towards the top are stiffer (closer together) than the ones towards the bottom (as installed) they also have stock type constant rate springs. but your truck is no longer stock.
Though they never put a big block in a Dakota from the factory, being new and being progressive rate vs the stock originals' constant rate style springs, they will be stronger than your weak clapped out originals. I put a 318 in place of a slant 6, in a 79 D-100 short bed, with ALOT of miles on that slant 6. Meaning a lot of bouncing, a lot of wear and tear. Not long after the engine swap, I had a busted front spring on one side. In that case they did offer a 318 in that body so my choice was made easier. and there is less "difference" between what a slant 6 and a smallblock weighs than there is between the weight of a small block and a big block.....
failing that your only choice is to check out the "buyers guide" in the back of a real, old school, paper catalog from Moog, and look into the height, spring diameter (both the thickness of the metal and the inside/outside diameter of the spring itself) and spring rate. Compare the standard spring they list for tour truck as it came from the factory and the spring rate for their cargo coil line for the heaviest available engine in one of those trucks (which was a small block) What engine was in your truck from new?

My Dakota was equipped with the 3.9 liter.