DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   Ignition illumination and interior dome light stuck on? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/109960-ignition-illumination-and-interior-dome-light-stuck-on.html)

protegechris 06-09-2007 09:47 PM

Ignition illumination and interior dome light stuck on?

This is killing me, I have to disconnect the battery.. the dome light and the illumination surrounding the ignition are stuck on, and no matter what I do, I can't turn them off.. any ideas on this?

dodgerules86 06-09-2007 10:01 PM

RE: Ignition illumination and interior dome light stuck on?

Try taking out the time delay relay (located on the fuse block... see this post).

protegechris 06-10-2007 04:29 PM

nvm

protegechris 06-11-2007 01:43 AM

Durr. I found the fuseblock under the dash, I took out the relay in the middle (circular).. (it was BURNING hot to the touch).. and that took care of the illumination around the ignition.. but I still have to take the bulb out of the dome light . Any ideas on that?

protegechris 06-13-2007 11:56 PM

I'm going to replace the relay.. assuming that fixes the ignition illumination.. anyone have any ideas on the cabin light?

belowrdr 06-16-2007 04:23 PM

Check the door jamb switches - they are the most likely cause, and work by providing a ground for the dome light circuit .Just unscrew them from the door jamb & check the condition of the connection/contacts.Sometimes the wire connector will break off & the wire will simply fall inside the body and make ground on the sheet metal, hence the light staying on. Then you can put your ignition illumination time delay relay back in the fuse block and it should work properly.

protegechris 06-16-2007 06:41 PM

I checked them out on both sides.. there's no rust or anything. One wire only connects to the switches right? Everything looked normal and the wires were connected well..

belowrdr 06-18-2007 06:00 PM

Yup - one wire, should be same color on both sides. Is a switch screwed in too far & not being pressed by the closed door? Ifo.k.,check wires by pulling both switches at once & wrap in electric tape to preventgrounding on the body. Lights should be off. If not, you have a short in the circuit.

protegechris 06-20-2007 07:30 PM

Yikes. How do I find the short (there's obviously one :((( )?

protegechris 06-23-2007 12:12 AM

Not at all sure where to start here.. but I did have a contribution which MIGHT provide a guide.. the stuck-on light problem started the same night the low-beam headlights stopped working.