1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Reworking a 1989 Dakota Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
anniewarbucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reworking a 1989 Dakota Sport

I am currently reworking my 1989 Dakota Sport 3.9 Liter V6. I have so far replaced my light bar even though it looked cool, I wanted the storage in my bed so I put a topper on. I replaced the black grillwith a chrome one.I moved my after market alarm system. I had a bad power stearing pump so I replaced it with a simular pump that I found in the junk yard out of an El Camino. I am having troubles though. After moving my alarm system I can not get my wiper motor, my horn or my Tach to work. I am not able to access my factory service manual as it is in my home that I can not go into. can anyone tell me where to start looking to make these things work. With no horn I am afraid that I will be pulled over and given a ticket.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
78redrocket
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reworking a 1989 Dakota Sport

Annie, first check the fuses, then check the connection to the horn, when you (or someone else) pushes the button you should get voltage to the connector at the horn. Run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the hornand ground the other side to the engineor something. The horn should blow. The alarm system uses the horn, so it may be the problem. Why would you have an alarm on an 89 Dak anyway?? But if it works, why not. you may have to go around it and wire you horn switch direct. Check that the horn works, check voltage when the switch is closed, check ground. Oh, some dodges have a relay. Try the left fender...a cheap looking little box (size of a lighter). should click when you push on horn. This would be easier over the phone.
The wipers .... Ground the wiper motor to the firewall .. use an unused hole in the gearbox...sheet metal screw...If that doesn't work, there are other problems.
I'll have to look into the tach...I don't have or need a tach...but I'll look. The alarm system may shut down the ignition which runs the tach.

Quick Reply: Reworking a 1989 Dakota Sport