1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

newbie to Dakota: will I like the 1995 in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
gr95dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: newbie to Dakota: will I like the 1995 in snow?

Have had a 95 SC long bed 4X4 since driving it off the lot with proctically none of the problems described by Pasha...... above. It now has 112K on it, and is beginning life anew with a 2002 Durango R/T 5.9 engine. No ball joint replacement, normal wear and tear on brakes, no engine difficulties with the 5.2 other than a curious cut-off for no apparent reason at about 55K. Wait a few minutes and it would restart. Turned out to be corrosion at the coil/connector interface. At any rate, it was parked for two years while I drove a 2004 RumbleBee, 5.7, short bed, and I like the Dak better.

Over the years, as most of us do, improvements have been made for power, comfort, and appearance. However, gas mileage continues to be about 14.0 no matter what is done. (my 5.7 was about the same, but my 6.1 SRT-8 can turn in 18mpg if pampered).

The 5.9 swap hascaused a subtle but significant change in this truck. Torque production is much higher than the 5.2, and it seems to speed without trying. It tows a 3500 lb. trailer with no difficulty and is more of a joy to drive. Change from OBD 1 to OBD 2 is not that difficult but the 95 318 and 2002 360 have subtle differences in the way temp gauges work. All in all, it was well worth it.

In short, it appears that, as with any brand/kind/year vehicle, some are great and others are more difficult.

Quick Reply: newbie to Dakota: will I like the 1995 in snow?