1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st truck...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
AK87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll get the tire size for you today after work, its on 15" rims with 235 i remember that, as far as i know it isn't lifted, i haven't seen anything when i was under it. i usually need to jack it up at least a couple inches to comfortably get under it.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
razor rc
Amateur

Someone with another 87. your lucky you were able to get it for $100. I paid $1500 with taxes it was $1700. Its a great truck. I love mine sometimes but yet I hate it sometimes. Watch out for the carb on it. you will have to adjust it every couple of months.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM
AK87

235/75/15, i haven't taken the wheels off yet possibly spacers if they look like they stick out more than norm. look norm to me, can't find any signs of a lift either.

what adjustment on the carb do i need to watch? this is my first carb vehicle, i found the idle adjust (YAY) when i changed the timing was idling a bit hi for a lil bit the 1st evening.
i sealed up my canopy, except for the gate it should be almost air tight when its all closed up. haven't had time to tinker with it yet maybe tomorrow eveing, stuff keeps coming up.

played with 4WD for the 1st time. nothing challening just climbed up a steepe grass hill with 4 low. was cool kinda fun. need to adjust the linkage it likes to work its way out of 4L selector just needs to move a tiny bit more, sometimes it stays in, and when its under load it stays fine.

list of to do's so far
passenger front bearing,
lower driver ball joint (not horrible but i can see the slack when i play with the wheel)
inspect/replace brake pads +shoes (I HATE DRUM BRAKES ARG)
eventually i need to replace the seal that goes from the trans case to the drive shaft. and there's an oil leak up front somewhere.

and get the 4WD light to work, and add a tachometer
then i'll start building my custom bumper!!!!!!! its going to be a beast still thinking about my design.

just a few small things for now. once i figure out what engine and axles i am going to end up with (thinking about throwin on the 1 ton axle we'll see)
then i want lockers, we'll go from there. i really wish i could put an air locker on my vw, or get one of the sweet quaife differentials, like a lokcer but lets u turn, damn my not popular transmission/car

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razor rc
Watch out for the carb on it. you will have to adjust it every couple of months.
Ive been driving mine daily since sometime in march and havnt had any problems with my carb, may just be your carb that needs work for some odd reason, mine starts just fine, cold and warm normaly on the first turn by the starter, all i do for cold start in colder or rainy weather is hold the gas pedal on the floor for about 5-7 secs let off and crank and it will start just fine and ill then bump the pedal to get it to shut off the choke and for warmer starts ill lightly put pressure on the gas pedal and crank and it starts just fine, no running problems,
What problems are you specificly having Razor?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AK87
235/75/15, i haven't taken the wheels off yet possibly spacers if they look like they stick out more than norm. look norm to me, can't find any signs of a lift either.

what adjustment on the carb do i need to watch? this is my first carb vehicle, i found the idle adjust (YAY) when i changed the timing was idling a bit hi for a lil bit the 1st evening.

and add a tachometer
I dont know how big that is in inches around, or how wide they are but mine tires are on 16 in rims and it has 27in tires on it and actually after looking at the pictures more it looks like the front tires are sticking out more than the rear on your truck
Since this is your first carbed vehicle i dont know if you have read your manual but i put a post up on how i start mine up and it starts fine as long as i follow the procediers that i do
and adding a tachometer isnt to hard unless you already know how, then it will be easy, but i read on a web sight that the LA 3.9 (1986-1991) has a red line of 5,250 RPMs so dont be reving it too high

Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
AK87

i put a tach on my vw, was easy peasy. i take it easy on the dodge. i race around in the vw, or on rare occasions i'll remind my self what 200hp is like and drive the prelude lol. but would def like a tach so i know what speed im spinnin at . its a quiet truck, sme as the old 1 at the yard

Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
AK87

ok, a few days late, according to the door my stock tire size is
195mm/75(%of 195mm)/15x6 (inch rims) 7.6"/5.75"

current tires are 235mm/75 converted to inches, 9.25"/6.93"

might explain why it looks taller to, tires alone add a lil over an inch.

just noticed yesterday that the front has no springs, does the "sway bar" act as the spring on these? i need to get a detailed shop manual for this thing, i love the 1 i have for my Honda its sweeeet!!!

Last edited by AK87; 08-13-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM
AK87

any 1 know the *****ations of this air pump thing? any issues going to come up if i disconnect it from the current pipe scheme? the check egr light has been on since the day i drove it to work anyway. (again, shop manual stuff..... bleh lol)

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

That last time i knew works with the carb, the blower system vents and other miscilanious things

Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AK87
just noticed yesterday that the front has no springs, does the "sway bar" act as the spring on these? i need to get a detailed shop manual for this thing, i love the 1 i have for my Honda its sweeeet!!!
I think the 4X4s have tortion bars up front

Quick Reply: 1st truck...