1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Another question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
maxwgn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question....

Sorry for all the questions right now - but just getting started - will be honest, this is my first dodge.... have always been more of an import person....

Anyway, I am also upgrading the stock stereo (the oem headunit is cooked, and one of the rear speakers are eithe rmissing, or disconencted)

Question here is, how to I access the rear speakers to replace them, and for the door speakers, can they be replaced without removing the door panel?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To get to the front and rear speakers, the interior trim panels need to be taken off. It's not as bad as it may seem.

For the doors, there is a phillips screw at the arm rest and one in the upper front corner (by the side view mirrors). Remove those. For the trim peice that goes around the door handle, push it slightly in and slide it out (but I can't remember if it slides forward or rearward). Then unscrew the door lock rod plastic peice. If your truck has manual windows, remove the crank. If it has power windows, worry about that switch assembly later. Next, take a flat head screwdriver or some kind of prying tool and go around the panel prying out all the clips that hold it in. Now back to the power window switches... there are metal tabs holding it in... push those in and pop out that switch assembly and feed it through the door panel... there is no need to unplug it. And your done. Assembly is reverse.

For the rear interior trim panels, the easiest thing to do is take out the rear seats and backrest so they aren't in your way, but thats up to you. First, you need to remove the phillips head screws... there are two at the top on either side, one about in the middle of the panel, and one behind the backrest (don't forget this one). Once those are out, you need a torx bit (I think T55, but I'm not 100% sure) to unbolt the get out the seat belts. There are 2 for the front and 1 for the back belts. The plastic covers pop off (I think they slide up, but I can't remember for sure). Once those are unbolted, you need to slide the panel forward (the front doors need to be open). Assembly is reverse of that and can be a PITA.

Have fun! :P

Old 09-24-2009, 03:16 PM
festerw
Veteran

In the rear you can pull off the grills on top of the speakers just pry carefully, in the front can't be done without removing the panels while they're off take the time to spray some graphite on the door lock linkage.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
maxwgn
Rookie

Thanks for the info....

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
To get to the front and rear speakers, the interior trim panels need to be taken off. It's not as bad as it may seem.

For the doors, there is a phillips screw at the arm rest and one in the upper front corner (by the side view mirrors). Remove those. For the trim peice that goes around the door handle, push it slightly in and slide it out (but I can't remember if it slides forward or rearward). Then unscrew the door lock rod plastic peice. If your truck has manual windows, remove the crank. If it has power windows, worry about that switch assembly later. Next, take a flat head screwdriver or some kind of prying tool and go around the panel prying out all the clips that hold it in. Now back to the power window switches... there are metal tabs holding it in... push those in and pop out that switch assembly and feed it through the door panel... there is no need to unplug it. And your done. Assembly is reverse.

For the rear interior trim panels, the easiest thing to do is take out the rear seats and backrest so they aren't in your way, but thats up to you. First, you need to remove the phillips head screws... there are two at the top on either side, one about in the middle of the panel, and one behind the backrest (don't forget this one). Once those are out, you need a torx bit (I think T55, but I'm not 100% sure) to unbolt the get out the seat belts. There are 2 for the front and 1 for the back belts. The plastic covers pop off (I think they slide up, but I can't remember for sure). Once those are unbolted, you need to slide the panel forward (the front doors need to be open). Assembly is reverse of that and can be a PITA.

Have fun! :P
Hmmm! Me thinks you've done this more than once

Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Lol, once or twice... or maybe a few more than that :P

Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I JUST put in a new system in my single cab... It's not that difficult. The fronts are 5 1/4 or 5.25 and the rears are 5x7. If you have a single cab all you have to do is take off the rear window trim and rear panel trim... which is around 10 screws if that Undo the top bolt for the seatbelts and you should be able to swap out the speakers in a matter of minutes. If you are getting normal speakers I would recommend just splicing to the factory wires... As for the fronts you DO NOT have to remove the door panels if you stick with a 5 1/4 size just pull off the speaker covers and unscrew the screws. Another recommendation here, (which is what I did) Is just unclip the weatherproof wire clip connectors and cut the other end off the stock speakers. Save them and connect them to the new speakers This will make a weatherproof connection. Also, if you go with 6" fronts you will have to remove the door panels but they should fit in without any modification

As for the stereo (I put mine in this morning) Either buy the panel & harness from ebay and save a bit of money or go to wal mart and pick them up for $20 for the pair.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by LO 619; 09-24-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Originally Posted by LO 619
As for the fronts you DO NOT have to remove the door panels if you stick with a 5 1/4 size just pull off the speaker covers and unscrew the screws.
Um, I don't know about your '88, but when the body style changed in '91, they molded the speaker grills into the door panel and they definatley are not removable.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Um, I don't know about your '88, but when the body style changed in '91, they molded the speaker grills into the door panel and they definatley are not removable.
Well in my 88 the grills are removable. I didn't know the later ones weren't, my bad...... In which case then he'll have to remove the panels.

Personally I just hate the metal clips in the panel wish they were plastic. I lost one and had one bust on me and only took the panels off one time to change out the door locks.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Lol, I hate those too! I always have to fight with them the times I've taken my door panels off.

Quick Reply: Another question....