1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 parts replace question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 parts replace question

I own a 93 dodge dakota sport 4x4 auto V6.

Today I changed all 4 tie rods, tie rod sleeves, and my passenger side upper/lower ball joints. I spent at least 9 hours working under my truck to get ready for inspection tomorrow and I ran into a problem when I finished. I took my truck out for a test drive and I know that the steering is out of alignment pretty bad but when I was going about 20mph my right side tire made a sound like it locked up but that only lasted for five seconds after making a left turn.

So then I did some reverse and zigzag maneuvers to test the steering and nothing happen so it seemed like everything was alright.

I don't know if my tire locked up or it could be from a out of whack tie rod alignment. Could it be my brake caliber because I did take it off and put it back on without adjusting the brakes.

problem-->

My right front tire made a sound like it was dragging on the road

I'm going for my alignment tomorrow

Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
rufio0306

That is the result of a Toe In condition. When you replaced your tie rods it is nearly impossible to get it in perfect alignment. So whats happening is that when you turn a sharp corner the inside tire is (in a way) being drug sideways making the tire squeal. Not a big problem, an alignment will fix that, no problem. Watch out, shops hate aligning Dakotas because they are so hard to get the Camber and Caster in spec, so request a print out of the alignment when done(be sure to tell them you want a print out before they get working on it).

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't know what your asking. Your tire or wheel or something up front made a dragging noise one time and thats all you know? We need more from you here! Did it feel like it was dragging or just sound like it? Were you on the brakes, coming off the brakes, on the gas, coming off the gas? Was your steering wheel still turned or were you going straight again?

Honestly, when I replaced all my steering components, I eyed the alignment and got one tire dead on and the other one was less than 1 degree off and the truck went straight down the road. Was yours really far off?

Most people don't bleed brakes after removing the caliper unless a line was unhooked, so I doubt it was that.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I really don't know what your asking. Your tire or wheel or something up front made a dragging noise one time and thats all you know? We need more from you here! Did it feel like it was dragging or just sound like it? Were you on the brakes, coming off the brakes, on the gas, coming off the gas? Was your steering wheel still turned or were you going straight again?

Honestly, when I replaced all my steering components, I eyed the alignment and got one tire dead on and the other one was less than 1 degree off and the truck went straight down the road. Was yours really far off?

Most people don't bleed brakes after removing the caliper unless a line was unhooked, so I doubt it was that.

I was making a left turn on to a paved road and when I straighten out the wheels my front right tire made a sound like it was dragging. I held my speed at 20mph and that's it. Since I'm going to a mechanic shop tomorrow I didn't bother adjusting my tie rods evenly.

My question is it normal for a vehicle that is out of alignment to make tire noises when making turns?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. I'm going to have to disagree with rufio0306 in this situation. Had you been turning sharp, he'd be right, but if you had the wheel straight, it should not have made any odd noises... or at least not only one time. If there were an alignment problem, it would be a consistent problem. I worked at a body shop for over 3 years and have driven countless vehicles that were hit in the wheel and the alignment was really far off and none of them did what you were describing while going straight. Most of them made weird noises while turning sharp though. Since it only happened once and seemed normal after that, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to do some inspecting, jack up the front and turn each tire and listen for odd noises. Thats all I got for you. Having not been in the truck when it happened, I can't say anything for sure.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 10-28-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Yea I was to tired to check it out earlier and I hope nothing is wrong since I spent the last 2 weeks replacing all my suspension parts. I will inspect my work in the morning before I go to get my inspection.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: 93 parts replace question