1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Diagnose This... if ya can 1991 Dkta 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
hoolu2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose This... if ya can 1991 Dkta 4x4

She smokes like crazy (valve guides no doubt) I can overlook that. Thus far I have been chasing down vibration. Recently... New front wheel assembly berings. Done. Rear axle berings. Done. New driveshaft to rear includ. new universals. Professionally done. (I messed up the last set in a vice) New transmission tail cone bering and seal.... Also I just had the transfluid flushed and changed out. The fluid actually looked pretty good still. Tires I know I need. Vibration now for the most part gone - most of which left is caused by this 6 banger. Now the big question is after I came to a complete stop... then accelerate (modestly) I will get this thud or mild bang (not loud) just felt in the seat you see about a half a second after lift off. If it was the uni's I would and did get a bang right off the bat. So I am wondering if this is caused by something in the rear end or a transmount shifting forward when I stop amd sliding back when I take off. I did look up under and noticed that where the trans is mounted to the mount due to the dis-similar metals touching it looks as though the trans casing is disolving away - if you follow? The mount rubber still "looks" alright. Yet as I say where the steel on the mount and the aluminum of the trans meet - not good. Pretty silly who ever engineered that. I suppose that is how parts are sold. Anyhow about this bump or thump or clunk or bang slightly delayed after take off... any clue?

I really like the truck especially now that I recently sunk a ton of loot into it. We have formed an attachment indeed. I am getting ready to tow a trailure load of tools back to the Upee (MI) and this clunk thing has me a bit concerned.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:48 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diagnose This... if ya can 1991 Dkta 4x4

Definately check your mounts, on the tranny and in the engine bay. Make sure they are tight and the rubber isn't torn. As for the mount that I think you are talking about, there should be a rubber barrier between the tranny and the mount. If that's not there, then you need to get a new mount.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:23 PM
hemi_powered5924

check your rear diff for any slop. i had the same problem with my 1990 ramcharger and all dodges have some play in the drive line. your carrior bearing could be bad or pinion bearings to. and if it is 4 wheel drive it could be in the transfer case. look at all you mounts to.
Kyle

Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 PM
mackdaddydak318

i had a problem that sounds similar to yours. check your motor mounts probably driver side.

Quick Reply: Diagnose This... if ya can 1991 Dkta 4x4